OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

(re)numbering lists using one style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibbor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: (re)numbering lists using one style Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a file containing a whole lot of phrases I translated into Spanish as part of an exercice. I wanted to list the phrases in such a way that they correspond to the order of the original untranslated sentences. Since we didn't translate every sentence there are some 'gaps'. For instance, I have the translations for sentences 1-15 and then the following list contains the translations of sentences 22-35.

I'm used to working with styles in MS Word 2003 and it's become a habit to make use of styles as much as possible. However, I'm rather new to working with styles in OpenOffice and now I can't figure out how to renumber lists starting with, for instance, number 22, without the previous list formatted using the same style restarting with number 22. I'm using OpenOffice 2.2 and the style 'numbering 2' to number my lists.

To illustrate and hopefully clarify what I want my document to be like:

Code:

<style="numbering 2">
1 Translation.
2 Translation.
(...)
15 Translation.

22 Translation.
23 Translation.
(...)
35 Translation.

43 Translation
(and so on)
</style>

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
gibbor
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right-click the paragraph and select Paragraph. On the dialog, click the Numbering tab. There you should find an option to restart numbering and specify the starting number.
gibbor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
Right-click the paragraph and select Paragraph. On the dialog, click the Numbering tab. There you should find an option to restart numbering and specify the starting number.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've already tried what you suggested but without success. After the new starting number is specified, the previous list is affected by the change too and the renumbering starts with the very first list that's styled with "numbering 2"...
gibbor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibbor wrote:
BillP wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've already tried what you suggested but without success. After the new starting number is specified, the previous list is affected by the change too and the renumbering starts with the very first list that's styled with "numbering 2"...

Ah, I'm sorry. I tried something similar using the Bullets & Numbering toolbar options but I didn't use the Paragraph options... So I did precisely what you suggested this time and it worked!

As usual with computers, it's the small things that are easily overlooked that can make a big difference! Smile

Thanks,
gibbor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: