OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mail merge / single document

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterBinney
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Mail merge / single document Reply with quote

I'm struggling to convert to my use of MS Word's mailmerge to OO. My requirement is slightly unusual, in that I produce printed name&address lists that print on filofax pages.
Working from a master document containing a 2-column table of the with replacement fields, of the form:
Code:
«LastName», «FirstName»           Tel: «HomeTel»
«Address1»«Address2               Fax: «Fax»
»«Address3»«Address4»«Country»
Email: «Email»

A a page might look like:
Code:
Alberts, Peter                 Tel: 01 02 03 04
Address line1, Address         Fax: 02 03 04 05
line2 (address lines flowing)

peter.alberts@somewhere.com

Bower, Jane                    Tel: 23 45 67 89
NP address line1, line 2,
line3, line4

And So On                      Tel: 98 76 54 32

As far as I can see, OO offers three features, none of which handle this:

1. Mailmerge: this only allows creation of one document per database record.
I've tried using the "Save Merged Document" / "Save As Single Document" option (with some trouble; ref: http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=80188), but can't find any way to, effectively, remove all page breaks from the resulting document.

The merged single document also has an unremovable blank page after each real one.

2. Create Labels: these don't seem to allow blocked layout, with different fields in different areas

3. Database reports: these only seem to allow each database field to be in a separate vertical column.

MS Word's mailmerge produces just what I want - a single stream of merged records.

Could anyone point me at some feature I may have missed that would suit my requirement?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This macro will let you do what you want in two different ways.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=29291&highlight=mail+merge
PeterBinney
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks JohnV for the pointer, and sorry for the delay in trying it.
But, I'm afraid that I couldn't figure out how to use it.

Do you have an idiots guide on the steps needed to install and run the macro to do what I want, please?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: After posting this I reread you original post and see you are using a two column table. That will not work here so form your second column by using tabs where needed and read the rest of this post as if that is what you had done in the first place.

I also note the you asked for help with installing the macro.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=7995
END EDIT
OOo provides a way to make a list of your records but it doesn't, to my knowledge, allow for tabs which you appear to be using before Tel and Fax. But just so you know how to use it do as follows:
Open new Writer doc. and press F4.
Open database, open Tables item and click your table.
Select some records with the gray boxes to their left.
Click the Data to Text icon which is found above the field names.
Put the bullet in Field or Text.
Move and arrange the desired fields into the right window. You can do some simple editing in this widow like adding text, carriage returns, etc., but not tabs. Insert a blank line (empty paragraph) after your last field to separate your records.
Click OK. If the bullet is in Fields you will currently get errors but they will be fixed by clicking the Data to Fields icon.

Now to do a more formatted one follow the first to steps above but then drag and drop the field names for one record into the document wherever you want them. Add your tabs as you normally would and again add a blank line after the last field.

Make note of the number of records you are going to want to display. Select all the fields and the blank line then run the macro. Because you have selected text the macro will assume, and ask you to confirm, that you want to copy it immediately below itself. You will be asked for the number of copies that should be made.

The macro will then check to see if you have a Next Record field after the last field (I didn't tell you to put one in) and if not, insert one for you. The copies will then be made and you will be instructed as to how to complete the merge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: