OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

subform not entering master linked field number

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
swingkyd
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 15 Sep 2004
Posts: 479

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: subform not entering master linked field number Reply with quote

I started with a question here which I abandoned based on the solution not going anywhere. The problem changed to a foreign key error in the database backend. But the real problem seems to be the subform that I created. I followed the various threads here about creating subforms from
DrewJensen found here and the "getting started" guide.
So I think I narrowed the problem down to the following:

  • Created a master-subform with a database
  • linked the field ID of the master form to the field to be linked in the sub form
  • with data already entered using other methods, the data shows up in the subform as expected. I can modify and delete records without any problems.
  • the problem is entering new data. two things seem to be happening:


  1. The auto field is not incrementing in the subform (if I use the form only for the data in the subform, I can add stuff without problem)
  2. The linked field which originally showed up as the correct linked number (ie. it was 290 which corresponded to the ID of the master field I was looking for. This is also an autonumber field.) was replaced with "zero" for some reason.

I think the latter is what was causing the foreign key error (I disabled the foreign key to discover that).
So does anyone know what might be causing the form to not enter the 290, rather it enters the 0?
[edit] point 1 is not a problem. the autoentry field does post the correct ID. The problem is point 2. I included some screenshots of the behaviour. I hope this helps.


Last edited by swingkyd on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swingkyd
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 15 Sep 2004
Posts: 479

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should link some images so people might get an idea what is going on:
Here is my Form Properties for the subform:

Followed by a screenshot of the form with data already entered using other methods.

And then I enter information: (Note, the code 290 is entered here)

Then finally, after the data is entered, this is the problem with the "0" entered. If I hit refresh, the line entered seems to be zero and not 290. I do not understnd why this would be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swingkyd
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 15 Sep 2004
Posts: 479

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone...so would anyone know if this behaviour requires an issue being filed or am I just missing something fundamental here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 2616
Location: Cumberland, MD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a MySQL backend then there is already an ISSUE entered. Also a work around.

If it is an embedded database, then yes you should enter an issue.
_________________
Blog - http://baseanswers.spaces.live.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
swingkyd
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 15 Sep 2004
Posts: 479

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewJensen wrote:
If this is a MySQL backend then there is already an ISSUE entered. Also a work around.

my goodness..there is...I'm so glad.
Do you have any recommendations for how one might search for this kind of issue? I have looked but how I describe it, seems to never be how the person filing the issue would describe it.
I have yet to find the issue.
For example. I search "Subform Mysql" returns nothing.
EDIT:
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=73021
I think this is the topic. So for all those who might be wondering...I'll try to change the ID fields to SIGNED INTS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 2616
Location: Cumberland, MD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup that is it....
_________________
Blog - http://baseanswers.spaces.live.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group