OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Download data from IBM AS400 to OOCalc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Download data from IBM AS400 to OOCalc Reply with quote

Hello, I'd like to ask if anyone has tried to download data from an IBM AS400 iseries into OOCalc and how it can be done? I have been trying to do this but cannot find any option that allows me to do so. Help please...
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Is AS400 ECBDIC or ASCII?. Anyway there are various PC connectivity aids which allow you to download text files to you PC -- which one is really up to what is preferred for your shop. I would stick to a simple Comma separated variable format which you can import into calc on you PC.
Lynette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry Smile

Was wondering if there is any download icons or add-ins i can use in calc to download directly into the cells in calc rather than saving the text as CSV format and opening it with calc. On Excel add-ins can be added for me to download directly into it. I need to download directly into calc because i've done some formatting to the cells and need the data to fill the cells accordingly and not overwrite my formatting.
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such add-ins usually talk to the mothership using a standard protocol. An example here is if the data is in a database then you can configure your ODBC connector to add a DSN for this database and then use the query facilities to load it, similarly you can import XML data.

The problem is that if someone in your IT department or a product vendor have written some nice add-in to do this for you, then you need a similar add-in for Calc. I say similar because the development effort will be about the same. It's just that the architecture for add-in and the COM vs UNO APIs are different so the code will be different.

This isn't the sort of job that an average user could tackle. Sorry //Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: