OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Quickstarter not loading at start up (Solved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwpeck
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Quickstarter not loading at start up (Solved) Reply with quote

A month or two ago I noticed that the OpenOffice.org Quickstarter icon was not always appearing in the system tray at start up. I have the correct box checked under Tools / Options / Memory / Load OO during system start up. If I restart the computer, or log off and log back on, the icon appears.

I did a system restore and it seemed to be okay for awhile, but recently the problem has returned. Sometimes OO quickstarter loads during start up, but most of the time it doesn't. I have also updated to OO 2.2 since first experiencing the problem, but that did not appear fix the problem.

As I recall, the problem first appeared around the time of a Windows xp automatic update that included a file that had to do with verifying the authenticity of Microsoft software, ie, "authentic Microsoft software" or something like that.

I am reluctant to report the matter on the "Issue Tracker" seeing as it is not necessarily repeatable. Maybe others have had a similar experience and we can narrow the matter down to something that can be fixed.

System: PC / Windows xp service pack 2 / OpenOffice.org 2.2.1

Last edited by rwpeck on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click on the toolbar and in the properties, see if the OOo quickstarter is set to be displayed Always.

Perhaps the Windows update has cleared some base of registry key related to the quickstarter, you coul dtry to uninstall OOo, run a BoR clean up and install again.
rwpeck
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have OOo set to "Always Show." However, I think you're on to something with the registry key idea. I simply updated to 2.2, but did not uninstall 2.0 first. I will try that next.

When you mention a "BoR clean up," I suspect you're not talking about something so pedestrian as running Windows "Disk Clean Up," or some other Windows system tool. Are we talking about some sort of stand alone registry cleaning application? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several users have reported good results with CCleaner but there are plenty of them as freewares. I've stopped using all these applications since I switched to Linux, so I've no personal preference.
rwpeck
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice. I have uninstalled OOo, run CC Cleaner, downloaded all Windows updates, reinstalled OOo, and have now shut down and restarted the system about a dozen times and Quickstarter has appeared in the system tray every time.

I don't know if I'll ever get smart enough to fix all my own glitches on my Windows system, but perhaps I'll at least get smart enough to join you in switching to Linux someday.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwpeck wrote:
perhaps I'll at least get smart enough to join you in switching to Linux someday.

I've begun trying Linux with Live-CDs to see how it looked like. Then, I ran it with a dual boot, installing Linux and keeping Windows. After several months without using Windows anymore, I switched completely. You should try some user-friendly distributions like Ubuntu. No command line needed now.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: