OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Migrating to OpenOffice - How Long Should I Expect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zridling
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Migrating to OpenOffice - How Long Should I Expect? Reply with quote

I've been using OOo for almost a year and have seen significant improvement in each product, though I'm still disappointed in the lack of power in Calc. I've passed out copies to friends and family during this time always with the caveat: "Keep your MS Office (if you've been a Microsoftie) on your computer for at least a year during any migration to OOo."

The obvious reason I said this was for compatibility and conversion reasons. However, since I work with sometimes extremely complex documents from my company (that even Word manages to choke on), I've noticed that Writer is still several versions away from the more muscular abilities of Word. This forces me to keep using Word for long and complex document creation as a safety valve. My question is: should I keep buying MS Office, using OOo when I can, until OOo catches up and surpasses MS Office? Like most, I just can't afford the shell out $500+ for the next version of MS Office, when I'm told it's essentially a security update.
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use your old version of MS Office, and do not upgrade.
if it works for you now. than you do not need to upgrade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes stay with MS Office, the only thing that counts, really, is to get your job done.

OOo and StarOffice are great alternatives, but they are NOT better products measured in professional features and in the speed of development.

OOo is a great free suite, but if your are a heavy duty user then you now know hat you are paying for when you buy MS Office.

There is a lot of people that can use OOo and save som money, but users like you and me better keep the expensive gear. We need it.
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as OOo isn't the big concurrent of MS you have to still use it.

Like me, on my work we use OOo as we do not have heavy users, our company doesn't depend on the program, but on our own program, so for us, OOo is a perfect alternative.

because it saves us alot of money
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: