OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

What to open an HTML file with? and why is this happening?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baselnimer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: What to open an HTML file with? and why is this happening? Reply with quote

I have an HTML file, when i open it with Writer, it hangs !!!!, the same doesn't happen with Calc.

Am not sure how to attach a file to this post, so that you can see for yourselves, any help would be much appreciated.
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably an image or other remote resource linked in the HTML file. Writer will wait until everything is loaded, including remote Internet resources, before doing anything (or until it eventually gives up).

OOo 2.3 is supposed to act more like a browser and proceed with loading the document in parallel while it waits for remote resources to load.

That's just my guess. You'll have to give us a URL, or upload the document somewhere (mytempdir.com or mediafire.com) if you want someone to take a look at it.
baselnimer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, there is some URLs and internet resources that Calc doesn't open, and that might be the reason, but if i open that HTML in IE or FF it opens in 3-4 seconds, as for Writer, i waited for more than 20 minutes, and nothing happened, the HTML is a small 2-pages file, not that big, i will put it somewhere and let you know.
acknak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a "web bug": the HTML refers to a small transparent (invisible) image stored on some server somewhere. Through downloading the invisible web bug image tacked on to the real page, a record is created of everyone who viewed the web page, through downloads of the associated web bug image.

But what if the web bug's host site is not available?

In a "real" browser, nothing. The rest of the page loads ASAP and since the bug is invisible, no one notices--even if the bug never loads. The browser eventually gives up. The only way to know for sure the bug is there is to read the HTML.

OOo, on the other hand, waits. And waits. It does eventually give up, but until then, nothing appears on the screen.

This behavior is supposed to be fixed for OOo 2.3--have you tried it?
baselnimer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it'll be my Next Step

Thanks, I will let you know.
baselnimer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: is there a way to make it open the document OFFLINE? meaning, no need to get any links, only the content of the HTML.

I am using UNO in VB.NET
acknak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer browsers have a setting that prevents loading off-site graphics like this, but OOo has no such setting (as far as I know). It would be nice--worth checking into filing an enhancement request I think.
baselnimer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure there is nothing like this?

I mean, i want to load my HTML file, nothing but that HTML file, not anything from outside it.
anyhow, what do you mean by new browsers:? IE and FF?

i want WRITER to handle my HTML as a document, not a URL, I don't want it to download anything else, just like Calc does.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What to open an HTML file with? and why is this happenin Reply with quote

baselnimer wrote:
I have an HTML file

Is this online, or offline? Have you tried saving the file if online, then opening with your browser? Do oyu want to open it to edit it? Have you tried an HTML editor? ...There are many options out there.

David.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baselnimer wrote:
I mean, i want to load my HTML file, nothing but that HTML file, not anything from outside it. . . .

i want WRITER to handle my HTML as a document, not a URL, I don't want it to download anything else, just like Calc does.

What you mean is you want Writer to open the document for edit, not render the HTML code.

Writer isn't the best tool for editing HTML... in fact, in its native form it can't edit HTML. You have to open the HTML file either with OpenOffice.org exe or double-click on it in order to open it in Writer for Web (anything that contains HTML tags automatically uses Writer for Web). Then you need to choose View>HTML source to get to the HTML code.

Writer for Web is a word processor first and foremost. It assumes you want to edit the content rather than the code of a page... so it's going to go follow the content links and pull in the pictures or sound files or whatever else you've linked to from outside sources, in order give you the content you told it you wanted.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
baselnimer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: