OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help with custom numbering [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmogli
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Help with custom numbering [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm apologizing in advance Hagar! I DID search first. If the answer i s already out there someone will have to point me to it, please?

I want to create a custom list style that numbers all items in sequence 1, 2, 3, ... with the only indication of a new sublevel being increased indentation, like so:

Code:

1. item
2. item
     3. item
     4. item
     5. item
6. item
    7. item
    8. item
         9. item
        10. item
    11. tiem
12. item

This seems like it ought to be snap but I just can't get it to work. When I try, get the correct numbering down to item 5. When I back out a level what I want to be item 6 gets numbered 3. This quite logical, just not what I need.

Last edited by kmogli on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe can't be done with a multi-level list: yours is a single-level list with different indents and that's how I would do it. You can define some styles that simply change the "Before Text" space for the different levels if you want--as long as they all share the same numbering style, the numbering will be consistent.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with custom numbering Reply with quote

kmogli wrote:
I'm apologizing in advance Hagar! I DID search first.
Laughing
Thanks ! It means that at least some users do search before posting !

First, I would say the same as acknak. Try the different indents.

But if you really need 2 levels, see here perhaps : [solved]numbering chapeters. But can you explain why you need 2 levels ?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
kmogli
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Help with custom numbering Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who helped. Very Happy

I'm taking a logic class and wanted to imitate the instructor-approved format for writing natural deduction proofs. With your help, I was able to get pretty close to what I wanted.

I uploaded a pic of what I did to a scratch blog. Didn't know how else to show it here.

Thanks again.

http://kmogli.wordpress.com/2007/09/26/proof-format/

The smaller image at the bottom is from the textbook.

Last edited by kmogli on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option to consecutively number all levels of a multi-level list is on the Options page of the Numbering and Bullets dialog.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Bill. Hah--never even noticed it 'hiding' down there Wink

Looking at the example: are vertical lines supposed to be solid lines, or simply vertical bar characters in the same column?

It would be really sweet if OOo could collect examples of specialized lists like this into some kind of gallery, so people did not have to go reformulating them from scratch, or getting unhelpful help from forums.
kmogli
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The textbook example is showing with bad resolution, but there should be a solid vertical line indicating the limits of each supproof. No real functionality is lost by having the line be dashed, so I am okay with it for now. I'm also not crazy with having the monospaced and proportional fonts mixed, which is happening because the logical statements are formulas and the formula font is proportional; but, again, those are nicities that I can play with later.

The main advantage I have gained here is that when a proof has to be altered by inserting, deleting, or moving elements, I don't have to manually renumber and reformat. The line numbers referenced in the annotations following have to be manually updated, but that is not a big problem since the proofs don't usually run more than 15-20 lines. I have to do hundreds of these things, and I am now a MUCH happier camper! When I finished my homework assignment last night, I actually wanted more problems to do!
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... there should be a solid vertical line indicating the limits of each supproof. No real functionality is lost by having the line be dashed, so I am okay with it for now. I'm also not crazy with having the monospaced and proportional fonts mixed, which is happening because the logical statements are formulas and the formula font is proportional...

Here's my quick shot at it: proof_sample.odt

I used BillP's suggestion for the list (perfect!) and tabs to align the comments at the right and graphical lines to mark the subproofs. That way everything is in the same font.

You can adjust what fonts the formulas use, but unfortunately, there's no global way to do it. You have to adjust each formula--or maybe you can change the defaults before you start, I'm not 100% sure.

Caution: I'm no mathematician; I'm just curious how this can be done in Writer.
kmogli
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks gorgeous! Just like the typeset examples in the book. I'll still use my "ugly" outlining because the vertical bars are actually part of the outline and adjust automatically longer and shorter when lines are added or deleted, but it is certainly nice to know how I could really make it look nice when I want to. Just have the outline style manage the indents and numbering, then draw the lines in last. Thanks, again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: