OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

office linux vs oofice windows, template issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boywonder410

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: office linux vs oofice windows, template issues Reply with quote

I have a template that I have created to handle a couple hundred pages of research that I work on. Consistant formatting is critical, so the template is key to handling the amount of text that I work with.

My template includes the following,
- Custom styles
- Macros that apply the styles (among other things, such as paste unformatted text et cetera), which are binded to a specific keystroke
- a custom toolbar that accesses the macros

The issue i am having is this;
in the windows version of open office i can save a document that has been created with this template and when i open that document later the macros will be saved with the document, the toolbar will be there and everything works

i just installed linux on my laptop. the linux version of open office, when i save a document made with my template, when that document is opened later the macros were not saved with the document and the toolbar is gone.

is there a setting somewhere that i am missing?
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that macros and toolbars stored in a template are supposed to be copied into the documents created from the template, but it would not make much sense if they were not.

One way to handle this might be to store the macros and toolbars in some user- or system-wide location. That would have the advantage of making changes in those components immediately available to the derived documents.
boywonder410

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? it worked in windows. Seems to me that the macros associated with a document ought to travel with it, imho.

it's pretty important to me that they do this because i need to be able to alter these documents on any computer, even one that is not mine.
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems to me that the macros associated with a document ought to travel with it, imho.

Agreed, although I'm still not convinced that's the best approach, it is convenient in many situations.

If you need it on other computers, why not carry your own OOo environment around on a USB stick? Then you have all your documents, macros and other settings.

Running OOo macros from an outside source is not something to do lightly. Still, I suppose in the case where you have access to use the computer, you should have implicit permission to run the macros.

Anyway, I'm no expert, just blabbering.

I just tried creating a template with a (recorded) macro and a custom toolbar that has a button for the macro, using OOo 2.3 on Fedora Linux. Documents created from that template worked just as expected: the macro and the toolbar were copied to the new instance.

I noticed that the macro security setting was just changed with OOo 2.3: the default is now "high" which means that macros are only run from trusted sources. However, if that was the problem here, you should still see a notifier dialog to that effect.

At least in my tests, macros embedded in templates will not update the instance documents as style changes do. In fact, I can't even see how to manually update the macros in the instance from the template.

Are you sure that the macro and toolbar are saved in the template document? Y ou have to explicitly ask for that. I assume you just copied the template from Windows to Linux, so this is probably ok, but maybe worth it to double-check under Tools > Macros > Organize.
boywonder410

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little bit of experimentation ----

I found out that if i save the file as .odt and open it back up it will preserve the macros and the toolbar and everything

if i save it as .doc, it will not save the macros or the toolbar with it.

This was not the case with the windows version of open office, and I would really prefer to have it behave the same way the windows version did (saving in .doc would preseve the macros and the toolbar) because I have to share the files fairly regularly. If i am unable to get it to behave in this manner i will be forced to save two copies of my work every time i change anything.

hope this gets me closer to a solution.
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No document features are guaranteed outside the context of the ODF file format.
boywonder410

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough. It worked on the windows version though, seems odd that the linux version is significantly different in this regard.

thanks.
acknak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

It would be interesting to track down what happened--I would be very surprised if the .doc export code was any different between Linux/Windows versions of OOo.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rather strange that the macro and toolbar are preserved in .doc (even with the Windows version of OOo). Can you upload the template on a file sharing web site (like mediafire.com) ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: