OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I insert Chinese characters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: How do I insert Chinese characters? Reply with quote

How do I insert traditional Chinese characters into a Writer-document? Is there a method to use pinyin, e.g. "wǒ", to find and insert the Chinese character I need? Should I install a Chinese character set for OpenOffice first? How do I do that?
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you might be after a Pinyin IME. Perhaps some of the hits in that link might help.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Straight advice on Chinese input please Reply with quote

Thanks for giving me the Google page on different Chinese input programs, but unfortunately, I am not a computer fundi. I need simple, straightforward, idiot-proof instructions on where and how to download whatever I need to download to enable me to produce Chinese characters in Writer. I also need to know how to make this download work inside OO Writer (if a download is indeed needed). How do I insert Chinese characters in an OO Writer document? Do I type a certain pinyin syllable and then do something you can explain to me in simple terms?
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Straight advice on Chinese input please Reply with quote

ecbritz wrote:
Thanks for giving me the Google page on different Chinese input programs, but unfortunately, I am not a computer fundi. I need simple, straightforward, idiot-proof instructions on where and how to download whatever I need to download to enable me to produce Chinese characters in Writer. I also need to know how to make this download work inside OO Writer (if a download is indeed needed). How do I insert Chinese characters in an OO Writer document? Do I type a certain pinyin syllable and then do something you can explain to me in simple terms?

The links were just to point to the range of options. an IME, or Input Method Editor, is a means of entering non-roman scripts in roman characters. I use one for Hindi. I know nothing about pinyin, but some of the links on that list did say they were for entering pinyin. An IME should work in any application, ideally. That's why I posted the list, so tht you could look for one that does what you need. If it helps, the Hindi IME that I use works flawlessly with OOo and all my other Unicode-capable app.s. I'd recommend checking out the first result in that search reults list. That mailinglist may well be a very good place to get more specific advice.

ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Chinese characters input in OO Writer impossible? Reply with quote

I have not been able to find a way to input Chinese characters in OO Writer. I have tried to download the Microsoft Global IME (for Windows XP), so that I could use MS Word in stead of OO Writer to produce Chinese characters in a document. Because I am in China right now, I am automatically transferred to a download page written in Chinese characters. I do not know Chinese characters well enough to understand how to proceed to download the IME. So I remain stuck. The postings I have been refered to, do not tell me how I can find and use OO Writer's Chinese character input facility. Can anybody help me out with explicit and simple instructions please? Would really appreciate that. I want to use this facility as a learning tool; to help me recognize and type Chinese characters.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried following the procedures outlined in these pages:
Pinyin IME XP and

Write Chinese

Again, using the XP-installed IME that comes standard, I can definitely enter Hindi text in any Openoffice application. As long as the language display says "HI", then I'm off. The instructions on the two pages enough should see the same result for you in Chinese. It is not an OpenOffice issue, that's for sure. Although it wouldn't hurt to make sure that you go into Tools>Options>Languages, and enable Asian language support, as in this screenshot:

ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: How to input Chinese characters (Windows XP) Reply with quote

In the case of Windows XP, the following two steps will enable you to input Chinese characters.
First, do Start - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages - Check Install Files for East Asian Languages - OK (or follow the sequence of next steps).
When you are asked to insert your original Windows XP CD, you may discover you've lost it.
No problem. Buy, beg, borrow or steal any copy of the Windows XP CD, the ENGLISH version. In East Asia you should not have to pay more than about one US Dollar for a pirated copy.
After inserting the original, borrowed or pirated Windows XP CD, complete the "Install Files for East Asian Languages" sequence. A fairly large number of files should be copied to your computer.
Second, go to http://tools.google.com/pinyin/ . Download the free Google Pinyin IME.
After the download, "Add" the new language keyboard under the "Regional and Language Options" button in Control Panel.
Once all has been done correctly, you should be able to switch between the available languages (and their respective keyboards) by pressing Left Arrow-Alt-Shift. If you are able to make the Google Pinyin menu tab appear by pressing Left Arrow-Alt-Shift, you are able to produce beautiful Chinese characters in any word processor, in a wide variety of fonts and sizes. Just type the pinyin, without the tone marks, and you will be given a choice of relevant Chinese characters to input at your pleasure.
Good luck, ecbritz
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to input Chinese characters (Windows XP) Reply with quote

ecbritz wrote:
In the case of Windows XP, the following two steps will enable you to input Chinese characters.
First, do Start - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages - Check Install Files for East Asian Languages - OK (or follow the sequence of next steps).
When you are asked to insert your original Windows XP CD, you may discover you've lost it.

I'm pleased to see that you followed the advice in the links I provided.

ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Microsoft webpages need translation in China Reply with quote

Hopefully I'm not compounding a misunderstanding between us, but if you are the person who responded to my question at www.wpuniverse.com, you'll get my full answer to all your postings there. A new topic seems to have been introduced by this discussion. It is not correct that the Windows IME can only be used if you have MS Office. I was brought under this impression by the webpage, written in Chinese characters, which opens up when you try to download the Microsoft IME in China. The same thing happens when you try to download the Google IME in China: you get a Chinese download page. My Chinese is too badly developed to say for sure that there was no button or link to an English version of the same page. But there did not seem to be any way to get to the English version of the download page while you were in China. This caused my error of understanding. China has millions of expats, about one million in Shanghai alone. Most of them know English but no Chinese. Microsoft and other big companies should make their webpages given in Chinese characters translatable to English by means of a special button or link. Otherwise my own misunderstanding will repeat itself all over China. May I repeat my new question posted at wpuniverse.com. What does the full moon / half moon button on the Google pinyin converter tab mean? What function does it have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: