OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Possible oowriter bug with managing tables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ginta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Possible oowriter bug with managing tables Reply with quote

I've discovered a bug which is present since the 1.x series and it is not resolved.

I don't know how to post bugs to openoffice.org nor how to inform to developers, so please, test this bug and tell me how to inform.

When you create new table, and combine a bit of cells, some cells that are perfectly combinable can't be combined (perfectly combinable=in other programs you can combine them and there is no aparent reason not to do it).

According to the example, the try to combine cells E7 to E10 says: Cells are too complicated to be combined (or something else, I have oo in spanish and translated the error), but as can be seen, there is no apparent reason not to do this.

This bug is a bit annoying I think, so how can we inform this?

odt file which demonstrates the bug: www.stormbyte.org/OOBUG.odt
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed.

I was trying E6-10, which worked fine, because I had Table Boundaries turned off and E7-E10 seemed to be already merged.

Merging cells works better in Oo 2.3 than it used to, but I still have a problem merging B7-B14 — not too sure why.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Merging cells works better in Oo 2.3 than it used to, but I still have a problem merging B7-B14 — not too sure why.

I had no luck at all using 2.3 to edit the document. However, I had no problem to create a new 6x15 table and re-create all the merges. Apparently 2.3 creates the table using a different structure, whereas the older table structure still cannot be edited, even using 2.3. I don't know if there is any way to convert a problem table to the newer structure.

BTW, I think E7-10 are not already combined, they only have no borders.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
I don't know if there is any way to convert a problem table to the newer structure.

I tried convert Table to Text, then Convert Text to Table. That worked, but all the cells were then split.

I then tried undo, undo to look again at the original Table structure and OpenOffice disappeared abruptly. [BUG] ?

Repeated with the same result.

Submitted bug report as Issue 82227

I could also recreate the Table from scratch, and had no problems with merging any groups of cells. The table's structure was retained when I converted it to text and back again, but this was not the case with the original table, which became a table of 34 columns and 5 rows when converted to text and back to a table again.
Ginta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for my question, can you, with this table layout recreate *all* cell merges?

Can you reproduce this (step by step)?

1.- create a new 6x15 table
2.- select A11-A13 right click and after cell -> merge
3.- select B7-B10 right click and after cell -> merge
4.- select B11-B14 right click and after cell -> merge
5.- repeat for C3-C6
6.- repeat for C7-C10
7.- repeat for C11-C13
8.- repeat for D3-D5
9.- repeat for D6-D9
10.- repeat for E11-E14

(at this time, you'll have a table layout like the original I linked to before)

Now *please* if you done the above steps, do test to select E7 to E10 cells, right click and select cell -> merge option. The question is: Do you receive an error or you can merge those cells? If not, this is the bug I wanted to post here, but please, let me know if I am the one that can reproduce this strange issue.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all starting from a new table, but the table you linked to does have problems. If you convert it to text, then back to a table, it does not revert to a 6x15 table.
keme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is already reported as an issue for 2.2, and seems to have been almost resolved with 2.3. The most complete overview I've seen is found as issue 4032 in the OOo issue tracker.
It seems that table handling is changed, but older documents keep the saved table storage format so the issue is still present. A new issue has been introduced too, it seems.

Last edited by keme on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
cambirder
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just opened your file in OO2.3.

In the same document I created a fresh table, went through all you steps and had no problem combining E7-10.

Going back to your table I can combine E7-9, but the problem cell seems to be E10. I think this is a problem with tables as such but a problem with this specific table.

I don't know if this is related or not but as you click on each cell in the bottom RH corner you get a cell refference which for E7 to E10 is as follows

E7 = PrimerCuatrimestre:B4.2.2.1.2
E8 = PrimerCuatrimestre:B4.2.2.1.3
E9 = PrimerCuatrimestre:B4.2.2.1.4
E10 = PrimerCuatrimestre:B4.2.3

The same issue occurs elsewhere on your table A1 & A2 (PrimerCuatrimestre:B2 & 3) combine as do A2 & A3 (PrimerCuatrimestre:A4.2.1.2.1 & 2) but you can't combine all 4.

I don't know how the table was originally constructed but it seems adjacent cells don't have consecutive references which screws up the merge option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: