OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't run Ooo 1.1.0 after a fresh install
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnurou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Can't run Ooo 1.1.0 after a fresh install Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I've just installed the rpm packages of Ooo 1.1.0 on my Mandrake Linux system. Problem is, that every time I try to run it, I get the following message:

Installation of OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 failed

I've tried removing any configuration file related to Ooo (.openoffice, .sversionrc) but it would not work. I even tried creating a new user just to test.

Eventually I've copied the files from another user on another machine whose Ooo is working (exactly the same version). Then I get this error:

Floating point exception

If it was a bit more verbose, I could probably do something to try and fix it. Unfortunately excepted these two messages I can't get anything out of it. Looking on Google and others didn't help. Would anyone have something to suggest to get it to work or to give more informations? I need Ooo badly here.

Thanks,
Alex.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: OO install Reply with quote

Have you tried to install OO from a mandrake-server? I did this yesterday and it worked fine.
lutz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Install from mirror fails as well... Reply with quote

Hi guest --

I have a similar problem as gnurou. Unfortunately, the problem is not solved by a fresh install, either from known-good installation CDs or from a Mandrake mirror.

Cheers, though, for the advice!
Lutz
Gnurou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: OO install Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Have you tried to install OO from a mandrake-server? I did this yesterday and it worked fine.

Yes, I installed it from urpmi. Weird thing is that the exact same installation on another machine does work (both are freshly installed mandrake 10).

Really, if I could make it more verbose...
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say that you have a problem with the rpm (or rpmdrake?)

Can I suggest you get the file from www.openoffice.org and see if installing it that way works? Trouble is with everything else (including the installer) being bleeding edge it is possible for a Mandrake issue to look like an OOo one. Downloading the latest version from this site (which works fine in MDK9.2) will I think enable you to narrow it down.

Ian
lutz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: I'll go and try that now! Reply with quote

Hi Liquidator!

The Liquidator wrote:
Can I suggest you get the file from www.openoffice.org and see if installing it that way works?

I'll download the file now and see if it does anything. Though, honestly, I would be surprised. After all, I originally installed OO from the exact same CDs and it worked fine until I went to get some coffee on Sunday. (As described in this earlier thread.)

I'll report on the outcome a.s.a.p.

Cheers,
Lutz
lutz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Install from OO tar.gz did not work Reply with quote

Hello again,

I just attempted to install OO from the tarball available on [url]openoffice.org[/url], but the result is the same as with the install of StarOffice described earlier: as soon as the progress bar reaches 100%, the installer quits without an error message and with error code 256.

Does anybody have more suggestions?

Cheers,
Lutz
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz

This is indeed odd. However, I'm running both OOo1.1.1 and OOo 680 without issue in Mandrake 9.2 on a humble Packard Bell Laptop "designed" for Win ME.

The only thing that springs to mind is that the issue is Mandrake 10 specific. It is, currently, beta software of course, although I know as soon as I get a CD on a cover mag it will be on my machine. It would make sense, as there is, I understand, a fair amount of cutting edge stuff in there which wasn't in circulation when the foundations of the current OOo builds were laid. The most logical place to point the finger would be, it seems to me, the 2.6 kernel, although I have to admit that I'm guessing. It would not be the first time a new OS was launched which did not allow some pre-existing applications to run.

In my own experience, for example, I run a couple of Windows apps under Wine - Lotus Organiser and Quicken. Trouble is, they will only run under the version of Wine which ships with Mdk9.1. Now, if I do a clean install of 9.2 I can't install the earlier version of Wine due to missing libraries. If I install 9.1 and do an "upgrade" to 9.2 then I can. Such things are strange , but they happen. I suspect that the only person who can give you a reliable answer here is someone who has also had your experience. Have you taken a look on the Mandrake Forums to see if it is discussed there?

Ian
lutz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

Hello liquidator,

I agree with you. This must be some sort of fluke in the Mandrake 10 installation --

- During the first install of Mdk10, it worked fine.
- Then it broke.
- Not even a clean install with no configuration data whatsoever can fix it.
- It works fine on the same machine if I boot into Knoppix.
- The same installation of Mdk 10 on another (older) machine works fine.

I have checked the forums at Mandrake when I did the initial search and nothing showed up. I'll check again and then I'll ask the guys at MandrakeExpert.

I'll post any solution I may come across over here as well.

By the way, Gnurou, have you had any luck yet?

Cheers,
Lutz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

[quote="lutz"
By the way, Gnurou, have you had any luck yet?
[/quote]

Nah, no luck at all. I tried some things too, like installing a Mdk 9.2 RPMs, but still have the same problem. So weird is the fact that on another Mdk 10 machine, everything just runs fine. I simply don't understand.

Could you keep us informed on this thread of your results with mandrakeexpert?
Gnurou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Nah, no luck at all. I tried some things too, like installing a Mdk 9.2 RPMs, but still have the same problem. So weird is the fact that on another Mdk 10 machine, everything just runs fine. I simply don't understand.

Could you keep us informed on this thread of your results with mandrakeexpert?

Whoops. Sorry. That was me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

if anybody has any idea how to fix this - please let me know.. I have to write something for school and I wouldn't like going back to Windows just because of this.. (I don't have the time to downgrade to Mdk9.2 and later upgrade again... Sad)
I use Mdk10.0 Community too, I've downloaded my Isos using BitTorrent from the Club and all md5 sums were correct, if that matters.. something funny: I copied the ~/.openoffice from my old Mdk9.2 user over and when I start OpenOffice then, it shows me the splash screen for a second an then crashes with a segmentation fault...!?

I don't have any idea what to do.. reinstalling didn't help too and StarOffice 7 Setup doesn't work - it seems to be the exactly same error as some of you have too.

Philipp
philwo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: I got it!! :) Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I think I got it! Smile I run ooffice using strace and saw, that it stops on a specific windows font.. I installed the windows fonts using the Mandrake Font Wizard drakfont which is obviously not working correctly in 10.0. I disabled them using the KControl Applet "Font Installer" and tried to run OO - it did work perfectly. I then installed StarOffice, which worked too. Smile I then installed the Windows Fonts again using "Font Installer" from KControl and now I've got all the nice fonts and a working Open-/StarOffice! Smile

I just thought this may be of help to some of you, maybe this solution also works for you! Smile

Philipp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't run Ooo 1.1.0 after a fresh install Reply with quote

Gnurou wrote:
Hello everybody,

I've just installed the rpm packages of Ooo 1.1.0 on my Mandrake Linux system. Problem is, that every time I try to run it, I get the following message:

Installation of OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 failed

I've tried removing any configuration file related to Ooo (.openoffice, .sversionrc) but it would not work. I even tried creating a new user just to test.

Eventually I've copied the files from another user on another machine whose Ooo is working (exactly the same version). Then I get this error:

Floating point exception

If it was a bit more verbose, I could probably do something to try and fix it. Unfortunately excepted these two messages I can't get anything out of it. Looking on Google and others didn't help. Would anyone have something to suggest to get it to work or to give more informations? I need Ooo badly here.

Thanks,
Alex.
philwo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that it seems, that the font "upcki.ttf", which is supposed to be "KodchiangUPC Italic", is corrupt on Windows XP. Maybe it's only because I copied my "Fonts" folder around with captive-ntfs but maybe it's the case on every XP installation.. Just look at it and try to open it with KDE, if it's able to show it, you should keep it, else delete it, as Open-/StarOffice crashes, when it encounters a corrupt TrueType font.

Philipp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: