OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Formatting multi-chapter book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cawaja
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Formatting multi-chapter book Reply with quote

A publisher, who's book was not available in large print, made the file available to me electronically. They sent the file as RTF. I'm changing the font size, page size, page margins etc to make it so my mother can read it.
In an effort to make it look semi-professional, I'm trying to emulate the original which has the section title in the Left hand header and the Chapter title in the right hand header. Since I'm going to print it, I guess I could break it up into chapters, create individual headers than print and collate. However, I was hoping for a more elegant solution, one that would allow me to change headers at a section change or something.
In fact, if I can get this working, I intend to give the modified file back to the publisher so they can make it available to anyone else who needs a large print edition. (In fact, I'm hoping to encourage other publishers to take the same approach to making books available electronically where a large print version is not viable.)
If I can get a solution to this, I have 2 other issues I'll need help with but that's good for now.

TIA

Roger
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Formatting multi-chapter book Reply with quote

cawaja wrote:
A publisher, who's book was not available in large print, made the file available to me electronically. They sent the file as RTF. I'm changing the font size, page size, page margins etc to make it so my mother can read it.
In an effort to make it look semi-professional, I'm trying to emulate the original which has the section title in the Left hand header and the Chapter title in the right hand header. Since I'm going to print it, I guess I could break it up into chapters, create individual headers than print and collate. However, I was hoping for a more elegant solution, one that would allow me to change headers at a section change or something.

You could break up the chapters into sub documents and pull them back together in a master document for printing. Or you could just specify a new page style for the first page of each chapter and format it the way you want, then specify the next page style to follow it. (You'd need to insert a manual page break before each occurrence of this page style, and select it as the 'next style' in the Insert Break dialog.) I personally prefer master documents, but everyone's needs are different.

Try the link in my sig line, where you'll find a collection of user guides. You may need to scroll down a bit to find the Writer guide, but it shows different ways to set up your documents. If you get stuck or have further questions, please ask!

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: