OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Bullets from styles or from toolbar button

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisfpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Bullets from styles or from toolbar button Reply with quote

I understand that applying bullets by double-clicking the list style "List 1" will apply what I've set as default (both bullet and spacing).
However, when I click on the bullets button on the tool bar, I always get the same bullet style (circle with spacing before). When I go on the bullet options, on the Position tab and click Default, then the position defined on the style. The same happens for the Character.
The question I'm asking: How to make the bullets button on the tool bar apply the "List 1" style instead of just assuming that formatting? Is there a way to do this? Or at least customize the tool bar button style?
Thanks!
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this helps answer some of your questions:
Change the default style of numbered or bullet lists?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
luisfpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!
Unfortunately, that's really not the solution...
It suggests 2 things, which didn't resolve the question:
* Recording a macro to apply the "List 1" style: not a substitute for the normal bullets button because it doesn't remove the list when the list is already there;
* Creating a bullet with the normal button and modifying it's format. Later on the document, new bullets will have that same format. Later, perhaps apply a template: also, not the solution, because it is only true when there is a bullet already. If you remove it, the next bullet will be the 'default' again. And it's ugly to have a template with a bullet....

Does someone has another idea? Shouldn't this behavior of the default bullets button be considered a bug?

Thanks!
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisfpg wrote:
It suggests 2 things, which didn't resolve the question:
* Recording a macro to apply the "List 1" style: not a substitute for the normal bullets button because it doesn't remove the list when the list is already there;
* Creating a bullet with the normal button and modifying it's format. Later on the document, new bullets will have that same format. Later, perhaps apply a template: also, not the solution, because it is only true when there is a bullet already. If you remove it, the next bullet will be the 'default' again. And it's ugly to have a template with a bullet....!

Wow! That thread is supposed to have a second page that has more information and a much better recap of the situation and solutions. Maybe Jean can chime in; she was going to add it to the documentation. But if you read Jean's reply after that macro was posted, though, you'll see the macro is not necessary.

Please excuse me, but what exactly is this meant to mean? "And it's ugly to have a template with a bullet..."

You do realize, right, that every document in OOo is based on a template and every Writer template (and every document based on it) contains bullet and numbering styles? That it's impossible to not have "a template with a bullet" unless you go through your templates and manually delete all those styles? What exactly are you expecting? I don't understand.

On a side note, sometimes what you consider to not be a solution IS a solution. It could be the only way currently to make the program do what you want it to do. The great strength of OOo is that it's highly customizable and if something doesn't work right, there's another way to accomplish it. We users can't change the program, we can only help each other use it... so occasionally you may have to accept a workaround until the developers improve the specific feature you want.

BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisfpg wrote:
Shouldn't this behavior of the default bullets button be considered a bug?

It's not considered a bug since it works the way it was intended. Unfortunately, the behavior is hard-coded and can't be modified by the user. The "feature" was requested five years ago. It was once targeted at OOo 2.0, but is now targeted at OOo later and has a low priority. You can add comments and vote for the feature request:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=9437

Last edited by BillP on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
luisfpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply!
I just think it's not natural to have those distinct behaviors...
I've voted for this feature and look forward to see when it's implemented...
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisfpg wrote:
I just think it's not natural to have those distinct behaviors...

Many, many people agree. It goes against the focus of OOo on using styles. At the very least they should tie directly to the defined styles instead of existing separately. However, I've always suspected they exist because for some reason they were needed in order to support direct-formatted bullets and numbering from Word... applied there by the same method, the toolbar tool. But that's just a guess, a pet hypothesis.

jeanweber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxcole wrote:
Maybe Jean can chime in; she was going to add it to the documentation.

Despite what I wrote in the referenced thread, since then I have been unable to make any solution work reliably for me. I do something and think I've figured it out, and then the next time I try it, it doesn't work. I think BillP is correct: can't be done. Fortunately, list styles work.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanweber wrote:
I think BillP is correct: can't be done.
+1.
There are not so many votes (30) for this old issue (submitted 5 years ago). And as Matthias Bauer stated in March, the fix is rather simple :
Quote:
This could be solved together with the addition of a "default list style" that is automatically applied when the automatic numbering/bulleting is used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: