OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problems getting 2.3 going

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixofnine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Problems getting 2.3 going Reply with quote

I am currently running OO 2.2.1 on my SUSE 10.1 system. I would like to get 2.3 up and running in order to try out Report Writer with Base. I figure it can't be any worse than the current report generation tools. However, I am running into several problems with it. When I try to access one of my data bases (Local Missons.odb) I get a message
OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtime environment (JRE)...

It goes on to say that the selected JRE is defective. The selected JRE is the same one I have used with 2.2.1. I have tried loading the latest version of Java from Sun, but OO 2.3 was unable to detect the JRE at all. I kept getting a message that no JRE could be detected in the directories that Java was loaded to. So what version of Java do I need, and how do I use it?

Thanks for any help.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone to Tools>Options>OOo>Java to set the Java version to be used ? Is there a version checked in this dialog ?
sixofnine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using OO 2.2.1 (which works) at Tools>Options>Java I see the select (and only) Java Runtime version "Free Software Foundation 1.4.2", and at the bottom of the text box /usr/lib. Interestingly enough in the directory /usr/lib/ there is a directory java-1.4.2, which is empty.

When using OO 2.3.0, Tools>Options>Java reveals the same information, but with /usr/lib64. Again, there is a subdirectory there which is empty. I have no idea why /usr/lib64 was chosen over the currently used /usr/lib.

Thanks for your reply, Hagar
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But have you fixed your issue by changing the path ??? If so, thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button).

On my system, I've installed Java manually (i.e. not by the Synaptic package manager) and the latest version of java is under usr/java/jre1.6.0.
sixofnine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But have you fixed your issue by changing the path ???

No. I can't change the path.

I also did try to install java 1.6.0. Neither of my OO versions were able to see it.
cbay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sixofnine"]
Quote:
I also did try to install java 1.6.0. Neither of my OO versions were able to see it.

Verify that you have only one version of Java on your system. I found out yesterday on my installation that until you delete all but one version, OpenOffice won't find any of them.

Charles
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbay wrote:
I found out yesterday on my installation that until you delete all but one version, OpenOffice won't find any of them.

Strange, I've 3 different versions and OOo sees all of them.

There is something I don't understand : you've both 2.2.1 and 2.3 installed ? You shouldn't.
sixofnine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have answered sooner, but I was busy this weekend with a life that doesn't involve a computer. Laughing

Prior to my message of 26 Oct, I removed all versions of Java from my computer, then reinstalled Java 1.5.0_13-0.3 using YaST. KPackage currently lists that as the only version of Java on my system. And yes, both versions of Open Office show java 1.4.2 (I do not know where they got that version number from).

As for having both versions, you should be able to have both versions up at the same time, just so you back up if something goes wrong, like not being able to use java. I read in the instructions that there is a program (I think called replace but I don't remember exactly and don't want to look it up now) which will remove the old version and install the new version as the default to be called by KDE.

BTW, thanks again for you patience.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixofnine wrote:
As for having both versions, you should be able to have both versions up at the same time,

I don't think so because it can ruin the dependancies (especially under a Linux system). For example you simply can't install the official OOo version side by side with the Ubuntu version, dpkg won't let you do that (in fact, there is a possibility but you've to invoke additional command lines).

If it goes wrong, you can still downgrade to the former version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: