OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Suppressing 'empty' fields in MailMerge Labels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Energise2008
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: [Solved] Suppressing 'empty' fields in MailMerge Labels Reply with quote

I am trying to do mailmerge of labels using either Base or Writer using data from Base/Calc but, although have followed instructions, can only have either field suppressed or print, not suppressing only if empty. I've checked and there are no 'spaces' etc in the field

Using version 2.2 on Ubuntu at work, 2.3 on Win XP at home, both have same results.

Please can someone help me sort this out. Thanks

Julie

Last edited by Energise2008 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A forum search reveals these two threads:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=25324&highlight=suppressing+blank+fields
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=18687&highlight=suppressing+blank+fields
Energise2008
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Suppressing etc for consecutive lines Reply with quote

Thanks for the links above. Now I have a suppressed blank field in the label.

However, how can I have consecutive suppressed fields, such as 'Position', 'Organisation', then after Address 1, suppress empty fields for 'Address 2' & Address 3'?

Thanks to all who can help
J
[/b]
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how can I have consecutive suppressed fields
Do you mean like:
<First> <Middle> <Last>
where <Middle> may be blank and result in two spaces between <First> and <Last>?
Energise2008
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: how can I have consecutive suppressed fields Reply with quote

I want a field (line) for name (ie First and Last Name), then 'line' for Position, next line for Organisation,nline for Address 1; line for Address 2; line for Address 3, line - Town; then line for postcode.

There is not always any data in field 'Position' or 'Organisation' so I dont want them to be left showing as blank lines when there is no data. I want the space to be filled with the next line that has data, ie first line of address - Address 1, where there will always be an entry.

However, Addresss 2 line and Address 3 line may also be empty so, if that is the case, I want the address on that particular label to go straight into 'Town', then 'Postcode' where there should always be some data entry.

I have managed to suppress one line, but not two consecutive lines, ie 'Position' and 'Organisation' and then further down, 'Address 2' and 'Address 3'.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer?
Thanks folks,
J
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply put a Hidden Paragraph next to (before or after will both work) each of the fields that may be blank.

Try this with 2.3 because I know it works with that version. I can't remember about 2.2 and if you have the Ubuntu version many posts here indicate it is not well done.

"Page" 3 of this thread is a recent discussion.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=43528
Energise2008
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Suppressing 'Empty' fields - solved Reply with quote

I have, at last, managed to achieve labels with numerous and consecutive fields suppressed when empty. I tried many combinations before it worked properly, using OpenOffice 2.3 on Win XP Home.

Working on fields -

Name
Position
Organisation
Address1
Address2
Address3
Town
County
Postcode

I wanted 'Position' and 'Organisation' and also Address2, Address3 to be suppressed if empty.

Although OO Writer was ok about suppressing one or two lines consecutive lines, it didn't work on the next set of two consecutive lines. It only works if I do the following:

Insert Hidden Text to beginning of ALL lines using EQ “” for condition
'space' in Hidden Text box

Insert Hidden Paragraph to end of lines which may be 'empty' fields, using
'fieldname EQ “” '

With this, I am able to suppress 'Position' and 'Organisation', and also 'Address2' and 'Address3'.

I also changed the field names so that there was no space between the words, as OO doesn't like spaces in the field name.

I now have to see if this will work ok with OO 2.2 in Ubuntu at the office on Monday!!!

A very big 'Thank You' to you guys who replied with suggestions this week. I'm so grateful to you.

'Till next time ... !!!
J
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also changed the field names so that there was no space between the words, as OO doesn't like spaces in the field name.
I consider that a good practice but OOo will handle spaces in field names as follows:
[Address 2] EQ "" or Not [Address 2]
Energise2008
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Suppressing 'empty' fields in MailMerge Labels Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for that. I actually re-named all the fields because I thought OOBase didn't like the spaces! Didn't have to do that after all!!! Smile

Next time I create new table, I shall do as I normally do and just include the field name in brackets, just as you suggest. Thanks very much for the tip.

Cheers
Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: