OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mixed-text numbered sequences (dates, order of events, etc.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wireflight Group

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Mixed-text numbered sequences (dates, order of events, etc.) Reply with quote

I am using OpenOffice Writer to compose a form agreement, and I want the (fixed) date [insertable] to read (for example) "this, the 21st day of November, 1999" -- but I want it to automatically apply the correct "suffix" to the day number, so that if I changed the "21" to a "3" or to a "03" the text would automatically change to "this, the 03rd day of November, 1999".

Yes, I realize the foregoing punctuation is grammatically incorrect, but I didn't want to confuse anyone regarding what I want to reproduce in the document.

Also, I'm not trying to get the date field to insert the surrounding text (unless that is also possible, so that I could enter the date string in a traditional format like "11/21/99" and have it automatically generate the "21st day of November, 1999" string): I mainly just need it to work with the issue related to the day of the month (which would also apply to sequentially-ordered numbers greater than 31).

For my application, it's better if the field would insert an error message [example: "invalid date"] if the number was either 0 or a number greater than the number of days in that particular month (but even if it was only configurable to n>31, it would be helpful).

An even better idea would be to have numbers convertible to text, so that an input value of, for instance, "17321" could be formatted to read, alternatively, "seventeen thousand, three hundred twenty-one" or "seventeen thousand, three hundred twenty-first" or "17,321st" -- etc., but that's a lot more than I really need right now.

Will OpenOffice let me do this [i.e.: "1" = "01st", "2" = "02nd", "3" = "03rd", "4" = "04th", "9" = "09th", "10" = "10th", "11" = "11th", "12" = "12th", "13" = "13th", "21" = "21st", "22 = "22nd", "23" = "23rd" ... etc.]?

If so, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: