OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printing hidden text

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stslinux

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Printing hidden text Reply with quote

Hi folks,

pretty often I have to create documents where some paragraphs need to be hidden at normal print out. This is not really a problem because it is possible in formatting the text. Sometimes it is necessary to print also the hidden parts. Is it possible to print hidden parts of a text? I assumed to find it in => tools/options/writer/print , but there was nothing!

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Stephan
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma ke a characer style for hidden text and set the formatting to hide, apply that to all text you normally hide, set it to not hidden when you want to print it.
stslinux

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
Ma ke a characer style for hidden text and set the formatting to hide, apply that to all text you normally hide, set it to not hidden when you want to print it.

Hi Floris_v,

thank you for the extraordinary quick reply! Unfortunately, re-setting everything to "not hidden" isn't quite the solution I'm looking for. Due to the fact that it's a lot of isolated phrases in the text that I'd like to hide unhiding everything would mean a tremendous load of work!

Stephan
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so - if you now select all hidden text - by Find, look for hidden text, click Find all - you can assign the Hidden character style to all hidden text in one fell swoop. Then if you want to unhide that text all you have to do is select the Hidden character style, click Modify, uncheck Hidden - tada! When you want to hide it again, just check Hidden again.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stslinux wrote:
floris_v wrote:

Hi Floris_v,

thank you for the extraordinary quick reply! Unfortunately, re-setting everything to "not hidden" isn't quite the solution I'm looking for. Due to the fact that it's a lot of isolated phrases in the text that I'd like to hide unhiding everything would mean a tremendous load of work!

Stephan

Unfortunately, if a character style wasn't used to hide the text, then that's the only option currently available. The option to print hidden text is scheduled for OOo 2.4.

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=83875
stslinux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Floris_v,

thank you! Although it's not an immediate solution, it's a perspective. I'm a teacher and I'm using Ooo for creating worksheets and tests. With the hidden text function, it's possible to create both the student and the teacher version in a single step. The students will get the sheets without the hidden text printed, the teachers get everything.

In my position as a system administrator I've been trying to implement Ooo instead of M$ at our school. The "print hidden text" function is what most of my collegues request most (M$ can do that).

So, let's wait for Ooo 2.4!

Thanks a lot!

Stephan
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
...select all hidden text - by Find, look for hidden text, click Find all...

How do you search for hidden text? I can't find any option in Find & Replace to do that in OOo 2.3.0 or 2.3.1 RC1 on Windows ME. I also searched the Find & Replace topic in Help and couldn't find the word hidden.
stslinux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
floris_v wrote:

How do you search for hidden text? I can't find any option in Find & Replace to do that in OOo 2.3.0 or 2.3.1 RC1 on Windows ME. I also searched the Find & Replace topic in Help and couldn't find the word hidden.

Hi Floris_V and BillP,

I've just checked the possibility of doing the hide- and unhide-printing by the workaround suggested by Floris_v. It's really easy. You just have to create a style "hide" (for hiding parts) and a style "unihide" (for unhiding them. If one has created a document with hidden parts, just do Find & Replace with the option "Search for Styles" which is located in the "More Options" or "Further Options" Menu (sorry, but I just have the German version of Ooo, so I'm not really certain concerning the appropriate English terms). Then do "Replace all". Voila!

Stephan
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v,
Quote:
Not so - if you now select all hidden text - by Find, look for hidden text, click Find all - you can assign the Hidden character style to all hidden text in one fell swoop.

BiilP and I both seem to think you mean that one can search for hidden text even if it's not a character or paragraph style. Neither of us can figure how to do that. Can you?

stslinux,

If you create and apply the Hide style you don't need and Unhide style nor do you need to search for any thing. Just open the Stylist, click the Character style icon, right click Hide and Modify it on the Font Effects tab by disabling Hidden.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stslinux wrote:
BillP wrote:
floris_v wrote:

Hi Floris_V and BillP,

I've just checked the possibility of doing the hide- and unhide-printing by the workaround suggested by Floris_v. It's really easy. You just have to create a style "hide" (for hiding parts) and a style "unihide" (for unhiding them. If one has created a document with hidden parts, just do Find & Replace with the option "Search for Styles" which is located in the "More Options" or "Further Options" Menu (sorry, but I just have the German version of Ooo, so I'm not really certain concerning the appropriate English terms). Then do "Replace all". Voila!

Stephan

What you're proposing is not quite what floris_v suggested. You're using two paragraph styles. Floris_v suggested applying a character style to the text which is to be hidden. Paragraph styles apply to the whole paragraph and the whole paragraph can be hidden or unhidden. A character style can be applied to part of a paragraph and allows hiding of just part of the paragraph. If you are going to use paragraph styles, it isn't necessary to search for the "hidden" paragraph style and replace it with an "unhidden" paragraph style. Just remove the "hidden" attribute in the "hidden" paragraph style when you want to print the hidden text. Turn the "hidden" attribute on when you don't want to print the hidden text. If you apply a character style as floris_v suggested instead of using a paragraph style, then you can hide and unhide the text as JohnV suggested.

I don't see any way to search for text which has the hidden attribute. "Search for Styles" only searches for paragraph styles. You can search for a paragraph style which has the hidden attribute, but you can't search directly for text with the hidden attribute and it's not possible to search for character styles.
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see any way to search for text which has the hidden attribute. "Search for Styles" only searches for paragraph styles. You can search for a paragraph style which has the hidden attribute, but you can't search directly for text with the hidden attribute and it's not possible to search for character styles.

Correct, I remembered that worked fine in Word, and supposed it would work in OOo as well, but it isn't. I had considerable difficulty with finding superscript text as well.

Because the hidden texts are all for the teachers, I suppose that working with a style TeacherOnly which can be flipped to hidden or not hidden would do the trick very well, unless you have headings and things like that in those hidden parts as well - in that case a few styles would do it.
acknak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware: hidden text completely disappears--as if it was never there at all--so it's hard to use for a fill-in-the-blank situation. If you have teacher notes or something, it might work, but it usually throws off the layout too much.

It's also a pain because you have to keep toggling it back and forth.

I use either white text or I put the text in a frame which has the "do not print" option turned on. The white text also requires a style toggle, but it doesn't affect the layout. The frames will appear on the screen but leave a blank space when you print. If you use a specific frame style, then you still only have to make one toggle to print the teacher's version.

If you want a sample document, just ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: