OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO Impress, JRE and JMF setup for embeding multimedia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
borepstein
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: OO Impress, JRE and JMF setup for embeding multimedia Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

As far as I know one needs to have a proper combination of OO, JRe and JMF in order to be able to embed sound and movies in the presentations. How do I make sure I got such a combination? Or, maybe, the first question ought to be, what is it?

The reason I am asking this is that I am rather perplexed by the picture I am seeing. I have a bunch of Linux machines running OO 2.0, 2.2 and 2.3 and various variants of JAVA, and on some of them I can embed multimedia, on others I can not. Those machiens are OpenSuSe and CentOS Linux. More bizarrely, I just upgraded two SuSE boxes to OpenSuSE 10.3; on one of them, embeddign works like a charm, on the other - not at all. So any advice would obviously be most welcome.

Thanks.

Boris.
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OpenOffice.org application, because it is open source may be distributed with different configurations and capabilities, as long as the license terms are respected. Therefore, what works on one Linux distribution, or even a different version of a distribution, may not work on another. It is best to decide on a distribution, and use that for all the machines you have responsibility for.

The OpenOffice.org Linux application suite available via http://www.openoffice.org does indeed require you to set up Java and the Java Media Player in order to embed video and sound into OpenOffice.org documents. However, the variants of the openoffice.org application described at http://go-oo.org/ and distributed by default in a number of distributions - including OpenSUSE, debian and ubuntu, use gstreamer as the multimedia layer and do not rely on Java Media Player functionality to embed media. Windows versions use built-in Windows media capabilities and can embed any media that you can play using Windows Media Player.

If you are having a problem with embedding media with a version that requires the Java Media Player framework, make sure that your installation of Java is up-to-date, install the "generic" version of Java Media Framework (runs on all platforms) and test the Java Player to make sure it works before trying to set up multimedia with the OpenOffice.org application. Instructions for setting up Java Media Framework have been posted.

If you are having problems with the gstreamer-based version, check the installation of gstreamer, and ensure that all the codec packages that you need are installed.

Exclamation Duplicate topic. See http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=65989 for replies to the embedding media question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: