OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Out of control smooth scolll!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel1212a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Out of control smooth scolll! Reply with quote

Hi, I recently stated using 2.3.1, and came across some rather unusual behavior, which i have been able to duplicate. With Smooth scroll selected (Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org Writer>View), if I open up a large document (200 page .doc), and have the Search box open (Ctrl + F), and start to select (high lite) text with the mouse, dragging it down, then after about 5 to 8 (sometimes less) pages it starts to auto scroll on it's own, no more highlighting the text, but scrolling uncontrollably all the way to the end. You can move the cursor and click on the document, which would normally stop the select text process, but nothing would stop the runway scrolling until it goes to the end. Other buttons (File, etc.) were inoperative during the time of scrolling. However I can go to other OOo documents I have open and work on them, or other apps.

Seeking to reproduce the bug, i found that this also happens using the .odt format, though it seemed to take more pages of selecting text before the runaway auto scroll took over. And having the cursor more to the left or in the margin seemed to be more effective. For this all to happen though, Smooth Scroll must be selected, and a large document open, AND the Search box.

As this takes quite a few minutes to end, the first time it happened I launched Process Explorer (I have it hot keyed) and killed the OOo process, which resulted in losing a couple of pages of text that i had pasted during the last hour or so (auto save recovery info is marked for 7 minutes. Missing the old 1.1.5 type auto save). Upon further experimentation i discovered (thank God) while Close on the Search box or other buttons in that window were inoperative, clicking on the OOo button on the task bar, or launching a major program stopped the runaway auto scrolling.

I had previous found that the same thing would happen when trying to paste an image in a document that was rather full of images. If i could not paste it where i wanted right away, it would auto scroll out of control to the bottom. Turning off Smooth scroll solves the problem Up until recently, i still used OOo 1.1.5 which never did this, but neither did the smooth scroll seems to work.

I am using Vista HB, with 1.5 gb ram. I will try to reproduce it later on XP if needed.

I know this should be opened as a bug, but i thought i would see if anyone else knows of this.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any 200+ page documents to test with, but I did want to thank you for, and compliment you on, a remarkably well detailed and thoroughly documented issue.

If I could test on one of your files, I could at least help confirm (or not) the problem on my XP system. If the file is not something you wish to make available through a public link, please PM me and I can send you my private e-mail address.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
daniel1212a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement and the offer. I just uploaded one of the few 200 page docs to my site (made with OOo), which you can download here http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/1 sam.doc The content is part of a Bible study i post by chapter on a web forum daily.

But maybe you also want to try the image thing. Paste pictures (i was making a map) in a .doc, making a few pages or more pages and begin dragging one down (with smooth scroll on )as if looking to paste it. And away it would go! Have fun. Thanks.

MODERATOR EDIT:
The correct hyper link is
http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/1sam.doc with a space between 1 and sam which I can't get to post correctly here.

Last edited by daniel1212a on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:25 am; edited 3 times in total
daniel1212a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any success in duplication?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have attempted to correct your hyper link above.

I turned on smooth scrolling and selected from page 2 to 17 in your document by a left mouse click and pulling down without any problems. (OOo 2.3.1 under W2K)

Try placing your cursor a the start of something you want to select then using the right scroll bar to move to the end of what you want. Now press Shift and left click the mouse cursor at the end position. Does this work for you?
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel1212a wrote:
Any success in duplication?

I can confirm the problem with a plain (text only) 10-page document on Windows Me with Smooth Scrolling turned on and the Find & Replace window open. If I turn on the Resource Meter, I see the resource level drop as the locked scrolling continues. Windows Me will crash if the resources are allowed to drop to zero. Fortunately, I've been able to kill the process before this happens. The scroll lock seems to occur shortly after the page begins to scroll up.

JohnV wrote:
I turned on smooth scrolling and selected from page 2 to 17 in your document by a left mouse click and pulling down without any problems. (OOo 2.3.1 under W2K)

Did you also have the Find & Replace window open?
daniel1212a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for your help in the "lab." And sorry about the wrong file name. I have since renamed it without the space. It seems more users would have to try it, and further experimentation indicates it might have something to do with hardware.

I can very easily duplicate the problem, and it seems the more apps i have open the easier it get - the less i have to scroll in order for it to begin to auto scroll non-stop. I will try it on XP next. What i rather quickly did is make a video of this, in which you can see me open up Search and begin to select text. It stops selecting rather quickly, though i am definitely holding the left mouse button down all the time, and you can see me moving the cursor on the bottom right. I then let go of the mouse button and click on the Close button of the Search box, as well as the Save As icon to no avail. Then i move to the Task Bar and click on the document that is scrolling. It stops (this time, not always) and then the Save dialog box opens up, which shows the OOo was cognizant of the command even though it was locked in auto scroll. No much of a "screen play" but you can see it here: http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/OOo_2.3.1.avi

And thanks JohnV for the tip on selecting blocks of text, as i am interested in shortcuts and this is useful in this situation.

That is works using just text is interesting BillP. But as the Sys Resources problem in Window ME can relate to running OOo, and as one that is very familiar with this, i hope i can suggest two safe freeware apps i found very helpful. You can configure TClock to show your system resources and memory load at all times, while FreeRAM XP Pro can be configured to alert you when resources drop to a defined level. http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005ORGANIZERS.php
http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/

Thanks and hope this helps.
daniel1212a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it on XP, which is dual booting the on same PC with Vista (which is an almost brand new (thank God!) Dell), and I used a little smaller doc. (676866 characters vs. 1001151 for the uploaded one) and it easily did it. No other extra app was running, and it had plenty of memory. But when I right clicked on the task bar button for OOo, it began selecting text again, and scrolling at a very high rate until I clicked on the window in which case it stopped. This sometimes happened in previous experimentation with launching another app. So something is locking it in auto scroll mode until something interferes with it.

This is really more of a curiosity than a problem, but i thought i should let someone know. Please let me know what you think.

Last edited by daniel1212a on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
daniel1212a
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything might be added to this, it is that selecting text as described above, but with the insert hyperlink dialog box open instead of find and replace, allows me to select text much faster than without it.

Usually, when quickly selecting entire pages of text (place cursor, hold left mouse button and drag cursor down to the bottom of the window, to where it says insert or over), OOo is a bit jerky, selecting text by blocks but hanging for just a bit after it selects a certain amount of text before it continues. Doing this with the insert hyperlink box open sees the speed increased about 3 or 4 times as fast. Interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: