OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Version control software and OO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobban
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Version control software and OO Reply with quote

Is anyone able to tell me if there is a version control system that works with OO so that documents (and hopefully macros) can be diffed, merged, versioned etc..?

Thank you.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a file and save it then File > Version will become active.

AFAIK, there is no separate software that deals with OOo file versioning.
bobban
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that...looking around I have seen there is some initiatives to get something done on this front will be a great boost to the suite (especially if it can handle macros).
9point9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Create a file and save it then File > Version will become active.

I really don't trust versioning within a file. It has no protection against file damage.

bobban wrote:
looking around I have seen there is some initiatives to get something done on this front

That's probably referring to some of the stuff I've done. The current working project is OOoSVN:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn

It is largely only a proof of concept and is restricted to working on OOo on Unix systems. Hence it is being rewritten as a new project ODFSVN:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/odfsvn

So not only am I the first person to have given a program a six letter abbreviation for a name, I'm also the only person to have done it twice!

ODFSVN is being written as a Python library which allows the internals of a file to be checked in to SVN. The reason for the Python library is that many applications and platforms can use Python so frontends can be written for different office suites. Therefore in future there'll be an 'ODFSVN for OpenOffice.org' extension which works on any OS, an 'ODFSVN for KOffice' extension which works on any OS, an 'ODFSVN for Abiword' ....

This will allow users of most ODF compliant software to collaborate between programs via shared repositories. This is not something anyone has attempted before so OOoSVN/ODFSVN are the only programs of their type.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/

Last edited by 9point9 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9,
Sounds like an interesting project. Best of luck though I expect luck has nothing to do with it.
John
bobban
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9, that's really exciting to hear work is under way on this front even if an end result is some way off. I think source control is an awesome capability and I'm sure guys will do a great job on it! Very Happy

BTW, when I started looking into this I was half expecting some plugin for an existing source control package may have been written. Do you know if this was ever considered by the OOo community or if anyone has attempted this independently?
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobban wrote:
when I started looking into this I was half expecting some plugin for an existing source control package may have been written. Do you know if this was ever considered by the OOo community or if anyone has attempted this independently?

Both ODFSVN and OOoSVN work on top of SVN, so yes, they do use an existing version control system. However, the strength of these systems is that they work on the internals of the files so the file (there will be some amazing things possible with this) has to be extracted before being checked in to SVN. There had to be a standard way of doing this so that different pieces of software could use the same repositories.

We have now got an alpha available of ODFSVN. It's a Python module with a command line frontend for the moment:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=478F579C.3080600%40simplon.biz&forum_name=odfsvn-generic

This will somehow be integrated into an OOo extension written in Python so that any user of OOo >= 2.3.0 will be able to use the system directly on any platform, assuming SVN is installed. Trouble is for the moment there is very little experience in writing Python extensions for OOo.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: