OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Len function on array

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Len function on array Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just started using OpenOffice.org Calc and was trying to use some spreadsheets created by excel. There is a formula that gives me the length of the longest string in a column. This just shows #VALUE! in Calc. I tried to make this an array formula but it did not resolve the problem. The formula is {=max(len(a1:a555))}.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RMH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Len function on array Reply with quote

rmh wrote:
Hi,

I have just started using OpenOffice.org Calc and was trying to use some spreadsheets created by excel. There is a formula that gives me the length of the longest string in a column. This just shows #VALUE! in Calc. I tried to make this an array formula but it did not resolve the problem. The formula is {=max(len(a1:a555))}.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RMH

I just did a quick try, not using MAX(), just the LEN(). Strings in column A. In B, I put =LEN($A$1:$A$7), copied down the 7 rows I used. The result reflects only the cell to the left, not the array.
I did the same using two columns. this time, I got the same error as you.

So the question remains.

David.
PBiela
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rmh,

I tiried something here to. The Problem is that Len accepts only one string as input.
So a working but not very handy way would be to use this formula:

= Max(Len(A1);Len(A2);Len(A3); ... ;Len(A554);Len(A555)

Just the ... would have to be replaced by hte Len(A4) To Len(A553) calls. Somewhat unhandy.

If you don't mind to have some invisible columns in your spreadsheet i suggest another way.
Use one column to determine the length of the String in the same Row: e.g. Cell B1Formula Len(A1) , B2/Len(B2) this assignment is quickly done using copy and paste. Then the Max(B1:B555) works fine, even when the column B is set to hidden.

Another way would using macros. I don't think that you can trick the simple len function into for an array.

Hope this helped you,

Peter Biela
rmh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the one with using invisible columns for the length of the strings and then used the max function on that column. This worked quite well without a lot of extra typing.

This would probably make a decent enhancement request so the LEN function worked on an array of strings similar to what Excel does.

Thanks again,

RMH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: