OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Automatic indent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
operatica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Automatic indent Reply with quote

Can I set OpenOffice Writer to automatically ident text to the last place I indented to? For example, I use it to take notes for school. I often will tab over one or several times to quickly make subheadings for whatever I'm typing. When I hit return again or when the text wraps, I need it to start my next line at the last place I indented to. I believe M$ Word does this automatically, so if you're familiar with it you may know what I'm talking about. It would be a great help to me if anyone knows how to get Writer to do this. My apologies if the solution is already in the forums. I couldn't find it. Thanks.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic indent Reply with quote

operatica wrote:
Can I set OpenOffice Writer to automatically ident text to the last place I indented to? For example, I use it to take notes for school. I often will tab over one or several times to quickly make subheadings for whatever I'm typing. When I hit return again or when the text wraps, I need it to start my next line at the last place I indented to. I believe M$ Word does this automatically, so if you're familiar with it you may know what I'm talking about. It would be a great help to me if anyone knows how to get Writer to do this. My apologies if the solution is already in the forums. I couldn't find it. Thanks.

I don't think Writer will do this. I think the way to approach it is to use Styles.

Try setting up several styles with different indents and apply them. I'd suggest that the easiest way would be to set up a number of headings with the desired indents and follow the heading style with a text style with the same indents.

This approach may have the advantage that you can easily change formatting if you are redoing notes or want to incorporate some of the materials in a paper that you are writing. Multiple tabs (indents) are a real curse if you want to do any reformatting.

Here is a quick example of what I mean
http://www.mediafire.com/?3jda0j0snvj
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another approach.

On the Format toolbar you will find both a Numbering and Bullets icon, you probably want Bullets. Now type something and Enter will stay on the same tab, Enter then Tab will increase the tab, Enter then Shift+Tab will decrease the tab and two consecutive Enters will break out of bulleted text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: