OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Hourglass in Slide Show mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquid64
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Hourglass in Slide Show mode Reply with quote

I have been searching high and low for some help on this issue, and have only found a handful of threads that mention it. Once I start a presentation in slideshow mode, a small hourglass will display briefly in the lower left hand side of the screen. It only appears immediately after a new slide displays. I have not been able to find any option that disables it. I have noticed that Lotus Symphony does not do this, however, it is based on the older openoffice code, and does not support dual monitors. My question is if this is normal behavior (ie everyone has this happen), or is it something to do with my setup? I have tried it on 4 different machines, with either WinXP or Win2000, and they all have the same issue. I would very much like to find a way to disable this if at all possible.

Thanks.

edit (forgot to mention, that I am running OO 2.3.1 and 2.4rc4.)
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the same thing (OOo 2.3 on a WinXP machine as well as with OOo 2.2 on a Ubuntu Linux machine). From my point of view it doesn't seem to be a problem since it is visible for only a fraction of a second
liquid64
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's not an 'end of the world' type of problem, but IMHO, it would be beneficial to disable it somehow. Glad to know I am not the only person that is seeing this.

I wonder if there is an icon file somewhere that I could just simply delete the image, or maybe replace it with a transparent icon.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vote for this issue
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=27646
* BleachBit
</signature>
liquid64
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have come up with a temporary solution. Thought I would share it if anyone would like a workaround.

1) located at 'C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\share\config' is a zip file named named 'images.zip'
2) after unzipping the contents, browse to 'sd\res', and look for an image file named 'waiticon.png'
3) Replace it with a transparent png, of equal size.
4)re-archive the folder, preserving the paths, and replace the old 'images.zip' with the new one.

Now, in slideshow mode, the wait icon no longer appears.

I also did as AndrewZ suggested by voting on that issue. Thanks everyone.
Phil_
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquid64, that solution is cool. Cool

BTW: The hourglass indeed has a function. In fact it indicates the time while impress is prefetching the next slide, i.e. you can not move to the next slide as long as the hour glass is displayed.
This may not be important in most presentations, however if you have large graphics on slides, the prefetch time can be in the range of some seconds (depending on the PC hardware).

KR, phil
liquid64
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with OO.o 3 being released soon, I just wanted to share that the path to the images.zip file is now:
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\share\config

I have also found that you simply need to remove the waiticon.png from the sd directory (inside the zip). Winrar and similar applications will allow you to browse the zip file, and remove a file, and it will automatically recompress the zip for you (no need to unzip, and then rezip)

Thanks everyone
Headwinds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Hourglass in Slide Show Mode Reply with quote

The question of how to hide the loading-next-slide hourglass was raised and a satisfactory workaround proposed in 2008. Does that workaround still work in the latest version of OpenOffice?

I originally asked this question in the LibreOffice forum about LibreOffice 3.3.2 installed on Ubuntu 10.10. When I try to locate the hourglass image, I can't find it. I can't find images.zip, which contained waiticon.png in OO2.4. The closest I can find is /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/config/images_brand.zip, but images_brand.zip is empty (0 bytes).
liquid64
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since switched to using LibreOffice myself. When I install a new version, I always go to
C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 3\Basis\share\config
and remove the waiticon.png out of the sd\res\ directory (usually, in each zip... just in case I switch themes). This seems to work well in Libreoffice and OpenOffice.org.
drupalfever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: On LibreOffice 4.0 is a little different Reply with quote

On LibreOffice 4.0 is a little different. You will have to go to the following folder:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreOffice 4.0\share\config

Then, you will have to open each of the following files with a tool such as 7zip or winrar:
Code:
images.zip
images_crystal.zip
images_hicontrast.zip
images_oxygen.zip
images_tango.zip

Remember, you will have to open 7zip or winrar as administrator otherwise you won't be able to save your changes.

Inside each of the zip files you will have to go to the folder:
Code:
sd\res\

Inside of this folder you will have to find and delete the following file:
Code:
waiticon.png

That's it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: