OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

PHPBB Forum & NNTP newsgroup via Newssync

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_is_sexy
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: PHPBB Forum & NNTP newsgroup via Newssync Reply with quote

Hi all.

Does or will the OOo forums have/has the PHPBB extension, Newssync installed on the forum server? The extension allows efficient communication with the database over NNTP.

The extension provides synchronisation between individual forums and individual newsgroups, which could probably be hosted over on Gmane.org

OOo forums doesn't advertise on the site, so there doesn't seem to be any benefit to the site in forcing a detached GUI interface, which is currently the norm with many forums.

Would be interested to hear some comments on this (and see it implemented Wink)

Thanks
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syndicating phpBB via newsynch is a solution to what problem?

The forum may not be under gmane but it is indexed by search engines and archived at a few on-line sites.

There are some concrete differences between mailing lists ( USENET style or otherwise ) and web based bulletin board systems, IMO. One of which is the expectations of the people using them.

But I really would like to hear what it is you think would be gained.

Thanks

Drew
Dave_is_sexy
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Off-topic Reply with quote

I think that to be familiar with the two technologies is to understand the advantages of news over www forums.

Newsgroups have less clutter, are much faster owing to this, clearer, multi-threaded within each topic (no tangents going off-topic) and generally a better developed solution to on-line discussion. Receiving an email which tells you to go to a site, login, and look for what has been written since your last visit is not what I would call a well developed solution. It is meerley popular because of the popularity of those technologies. I can ignore threads about X or monitor chosen threads or future threads containing Y - in the subject or body. On top of this, I could have any action be performed in the event of Z, and seamlessly interface between news and email. Newsthreads can be automatically tagged, grouped, filed. Auto-replies are possible if certain topics are repeated. Digital signatures of course are another option.

My personal reason for wanting the option of the NNTP protocol is because I loath the forum idea. Here I am typing in a box.... this text could be lost in the event of a server error. And it's hardly convenient to find this post again. It could be on any one of a dozen forums. They're just a compromise of technologies with no actual benefit apart from accessibility and avatars and I'm sure a web interface for a newsgroup could implement avatars. Fortunately I can install greasemonkey scripts to filter out the nonsense, bookmark what I want to be able to jump back to... forums are just bad.

In a very real sense the goals of the semantic web already exist today with the Internet's oldest technologies. There's also very little point in 3 separate databases covering the same topics. forum, list, news, irc - not efficient or logical. Only one of those technologies was designed for this purpose, and in that system any reply to my first post in this topic would be on a different thread to this one, which has become a comparison thread. The accessibility of the web's forums has provided them with a purpose, but there is no reason why the database of that system should not be made available over the NNTP protocol when it is so simple to do.

I wonder if I've used up my allocated typing time in this tiny white box yet...
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-topic Reply with quote

Dave_is_sexy wrote:
I think that to be familiar with the two technologies is to understand the advantages of news over www forums.
uh huh, if you say so.

Anyway you are right the thread should not end up being a comparison:

Does this board run the mod Newssync - no

Does it plan to do so - Doubt it, but you would need to query ( lobby ) Ed for this addition.

As for the rest of your message - I agree with some points disagree with others. The ability to receive the actual body of a post via email notification would be nice - the ability to respond via email even nicer, IMO. Not sure how I would implement embedded graphics and attachments - meaning how to implement from a usability stand point vs just how to attach files.

If you would actually be interested in discussing how an implementation should look and work ( newssync IMO is not the final solution ) I would really be willing to talk about it - but not here per se, as it would IMO be a fruitless exercise. Rather at the Community Forum at user.services.openoffice.org - can't say it would be implemented, but if it makes sense and the Volunteers Group agreed it could be implemented.

Drew

ps - I should warn you - if you find the eye candy too much here...you are going to hate it there...*smile*...really though I am serious about looking at this..it is something that has been on my mind and a few others as well.

pps - just so there is no misunderstanding...if you want to discuss the merits here, that is fine also...Ed might be watching...you never know...hmm, two edits on this post...would have been better if I sent three emails instead...then again if newssync had been setup I would have... ;>)
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

Thought you might be interested:

I have a chance to talk about this conversation with one of the other stie administrators, and a couple of users at the 'the other' forum. There is some interest, so started some research into the current state of the modification and it's availability for both phpBB 3 and 2. ( this site using phpBB 2 and the other 3 ).

The modification for 2 is, well not really being updated or at least not for public consumption, it seems and the last release does have a number of issues that render it questionable.

There is a person actively working a port to phpBB 3 - along with some updates to functionality and security concerns that plagues the 1.5 version under 2. As of yesterday this port / merge is not available to the general public - but he is definitely still working on it and has been releasing screen shots for the administrative functions and interacting with folks on specific issues of concern...so it looks like it will make it out.

Anyway - just to let you know.

Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: