OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Page Break Preview - Unable to drag blue lines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwlees
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Page Break Preview - Unable to drag blue lines Reply with quote

I/m using OO2.3.0 and for some reason, in page break preview I am unable to drag the blue lines to resize my page.

Can someone shed any light on why this may be.

I noticed someone else had this problem back in March last year but no-one repied. Hopefully someone will know what's going on.

Thx
Mark.
Sad
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by "page break review" you mean that you have done File > Page Preview then you should know that no editing of any kind is supported. It is a preview only.

You change a page style's properties at Format > Page or in the Stylist (F11) after clicking the Page Style icon.
mwlees
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean View -> Page Break Preview.. Hence the subject "Page Break Preview..."
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the English version of OOo there is no View > Page Break Preview. You can View > Print Layout, which will indicate a page break as a blue line for the top margin, or View > Web Layout, which shows only one page with no page or page break indicators.

The blue line can not be dragged to change a page size.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a similar problem [ever], it would be difficult to determine a cause. I would suggest that you upload your file somewhere for us to download and inspect and perhaps note any differences. Also, you might mention your operating systems etc. to see if there are differences from one to the other.

David.
mwlees
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point.

I'm using Fedora 7

Unfortunately, I can't post the file for confidentiality reasons.

One thing that may be of note is that the original document was an excel s/s it was converted inside OO.

However, even if I create a brand new document, type some stuff in it over a few columns, format the page as a4 then open up page break preview, I still can't move the blue lines to change the page boundaries....

I've tried this on a colleagues PC and it works exactly the same, i.e. doesn't work...
mwlees
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
In the English version of OOo there is no View > Page Break Preview. You can View > Print Layout, which will indicate a page break as a blue line for the top margin, or View > Web Layout, which shows only one page with no page or page break indicators.

The blue line can not be dragged to change a page size.

John, I'm definately using the english version, 2.3 and I can assure you that there is a Page Break Preview option under the View menu..

I'd post a screenshot but the board doesn't allow file uploads (or at least it's disabled for me )
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I didn't notice you were in the Calc section and I was talking Writer.

In a spreadsheet created in Calc you can definitely drag the lines so it may be Excel related.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an alternative/comparator try selecting a range to be printed, and then from the top menu choose Format/Print ranges/Define. That done, if it works Rolling Eyes , then go back to the Page Break Preview and see what happens.

David.
mwlees
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I opened up a brand new blank spreasheet and types a letter A in columns A-J in row 3.

I selected a range A1:J17

I clicked Format -> Print Ranges -> Define. This activated the grey page lines.

I then clicked on View -> Page break preview and tried to move the blue lines to a suitable page size

No Joy. Sad I still can't move the blue lines..

Just for good measure, I tried this exact same procedure on a colleagues OO and it did the same thing, i.e. didn't work.

Could this be a bug in the Linux version? As I said, I'm using Fedora 7

Thx
M.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm stuck with Windoze, so I can't compare.

You say you have the same problem no matter what? Then post an non-confidential file to see if see have similar difficulties. If not, and if there is no more specific information, then it would be as difficult as fixing a car over the phone, I'm afraid.

David.
mwlees
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David,

Not to be too blunt but simply following the instructions I outlined above reproduced the problem so uploading a file isn't necessary.

Is this forum affiliated with the open office product? If it is, how do I go about reporting this officially as a bug ?

My OO version is 2.3. It's package string is "openoffice.org-2.3.0-6.5.fc7"
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
In the English version of OOo there is no View > Page Break Preview.

Sorry, but it's exactly Page Break Preview in OOo pre-3.0. Besides, there's no other version of pre-3.0 than English.

As for the described problem, I can't confirm it for OOo 3.0m10 on Windows XP, I can move the blue delimiter lines without any problem.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwlees wrote:
Thanks David,

Not to be too blunt but simply following the instructions I outlined above reproduced the problem so uploading a file isn't necessary.

A file with a reproducable problem is needed if you want help. Forum members need something to work with.

At the moment no one else seems to be able to produce your problem so without a file that you cannot get to work we have no idea if the problem is one that is due to your installation, perhaps due to your OS or possibly an OOo problem.

Just because you get the problem does not particularly help anyone in the forum diagnose the problem since we cannot see it or reproduce it.

Quote:
Is this forum affiliated with the open office product? If it is, how do I go about reporting this officially as a bug ?

My OO version is 2.3. It's package string is "openoffice.org-2.3.0-6.5.fc7"

No the forum is not affilaiated with the OOo project. It is simply OOo users helping other users. Given that no one else seems to see the problem it is probably not a OOo bug but if you wish to report one see http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/ooQA-ReportBugs.html
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwlees wrote:
Thanks David,

Not to be blunt, but you're the one with the problem, and who might want to follow instructions if you want help.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: