OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Envelope print orientation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Envelope print orientation Reply with quote

Hi, I have a problem with an enevelope file I use, it is just a logo and senders address. I dont use it for mail merges or anything, just print out an envelope with our logo and return address in the upper left corner.
I have just tried to print it out and the orientation is wrong,and it just prints accross the the top of the envelope, instead of the upper left corner. The only thing that is different to the last prinbt run is the version of OO, I now have 1.1.1
For the life of me I cannot work out how to get the orientation correct, I even tried making a new envelope file (using insert/envelope command) and got the same result.
I have tried printer settings, landscape etc, different page settings, envelope etc. Nothing seems to work.
I can only insert the envelopes "long way up/down' if I could insert them accross the printer all would be ok. As I said, it worked before.
Any ideas Question
freiheit
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had this problem in OOo 1.1.1 (it worked okay in 1.1.0*). The only workaround I have found is to setup the envelope as being a tall but narrow page in normal portrait mode and turn the text 90 degrees counter-clockwise. It's very un-sophisticated but it works until this bug is fixed.

Don Eitner

* Note that in 1.1.0 there was sometimes a problem when you had to print an envelope twice before anything printed, but it printed in the correct landscape orientation.
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Printing envelopes Reply with quote

Yep that works.Tthanks very much. But what a clumsy way to do it. I wonder if we should submit a bug report or something?
Is there an easy way to rotate a graphic 90 degrees? I ended up having to edit the .wmf file in paint to rotate it. I could flip it 180 degrees in oo, but not 90. The text is easy enough to rotate, but not the graphic.
Thanks again for your help.
freiheit
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Indeed should be a bug report Reply with quote

I know how to rotate graphics in Draw but the specific menu option does not appear to be available in Writer.

It is a clumsy solution, and yes I would support a bug report about it, since what functionality did exist for this in 1.1.0 has been lost in 1.1.1. The last time I ttried to submit a bug report, though, the system wouldn't let me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Envelope print orientation Reply with quote

ailmarfarm wrote:
Hi, I have a problem with an enevelope file I use, it is just a logo and senders address. I dont use it for mail merges or anything, just print out an envelope with our logo and return address in the upper left corner.
I have just tried to print it out and the orientation is wrong:

I'm likely very stupid about these things, but have had envelope problems in the past with just about any such software. So, I abandonned the idea. Now I just set up an ordinary 8x11 page, and reset the margins to envelope size; insert the envelope as with any ordinary paper, type and insert what you want where you want, and print.

The only bug is I might have to flatten the edes of envelopes for smooth printing. I keep the original setup as a master sheet on file.

David.
jburney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Mailmerge and envelope printing on OpenOffice 1.1.1 Reply with quote

I suspect the problem is that you are not setting your printer tab settings when setting up your envelope. That said, they don't appear work perfectly, given the many different printer drivers they must interface with, so you will probably need to experiment a while.

I have just finished successfully getting 57 envelopes to print for a mail merge on version 1.1.1 onto an HP Laserjet 1200. There were some quirks, and here is what I learned:
1. I increased the height of the envelope to get the sender name above our logo in the sender corner of the envelope. This required using a custom envelope size. The default margins for the #10 envelope setting were limiting me from approaching the top edge of the envelope. I think the #10 envelope settings are correct--I just wanted to get closer than they wanted me to.
2. When setting up the envelope (Insert, envelopes), I found the printer settings on the printer tab to require some experimentation. I ended up using the far right setting, which is landscape, right side orientation, even though my printer prints the envelope in the middle.
3. I found that I could change the envelope settings after first setting up the envelope by going to "Insert" "Envelopes" and choosing the "change" button at the bottom when exiting.
4. When I needed to change the data in the spreadsheet, the "refresh" button in the data manager did not refresh the data from the spreadsheet. I checked the web and found a reference that to refresh spreadsheet data you must shut down and reopen OpenOffice.org. I also closed the Quickstarter for good measure, but don't know whether that was necessary or not. I think this should be fixed in later releases.

Email me with any questions: jburney@fryeburgacademy.org
guest2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got the same problem as the starter of this topic. The problem is it worked all well in version 1.1, since I changed to version 1.1.1 the problem occured. I've tried all type off settings... but it seems that openoffice changes the settings of the printer, when i change my printing settings to landscape, it seems openoffice changes it to portrait again. All the work arounds mentioned here are (like it says Smile ) workarounds. I really think this is a bug. I have no previous experience with bug reporting, any suggestions from someone with experience???
guest2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: hmmmmm Reply with quote

So no one knows how to report a bug? or no-one listens to a possible bug?
This is not ment as an offend, because i appreciate oo very much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Same problem here Reply with quote

Just want to mention that I have noticed this problem also. Envelopes worked fine in version 1.1.0, but orientation is incorrect in 1.1.1. BTW, running Windows XP. Anyone running OO on Linux seeing this behavior?
Dirac

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Envelope printing orientation Reply with quote

I have Linux Mandrake 9.1 and OOo 1.1.0 and I have the same trouble here.
dberthe

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Envelope printing orientation Reply with quote

I have the same problem as the original poster with envelope printing with OOo1.1.1 on Windows; wrong orientation. I tested the same thing on Linux RH9 and it worked fine; same printer, both systems printing through Cups, etc.. The Windows version appears to have some problems with printing as I have also had other printing issues unique to that platform.
vprieto

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!
i came into this forum cuz i got some serious problem, something to do with the problem menationed here.

I install oo1.1.1_ES on win98SE with a matrixprinter (epson FX-890):

problems
- some .doc files are printed just a few lines then the printer freezes, with other files it doesn't (even other .doc files).
- files (any type) that print well, on portrait orientation doesn't print well at all...printer freezes again.

solutions:
- copy all and paste in a new file.
- get back to 1.1.0, here freezes are gone.

hope to someone (developer) look into this problem. Actually i am posting this cuz i read that is almost ready the 1.1.2 version, and i think this problem must be fixed.

pd: also tried reinstalling drivers, SO, testing on winX version and the problem persist.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same problem exists under Redhat Linux 9 with OO 1.1.0.
Kurt

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: I've had the same problem w/ envelopes Reply with quote

I've had the same problem printing envelopes on Windows XP

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: I went back to 1.1 and envelope printing works fine Reply with quote

My envelopes did not print correctly using OOo 1.1.1 So I went back to 1.1.0 and all is fine. I have a HP 3420 printer.

Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: