OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Excel and Openoffice - Conditional Formatting loss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerm1t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Excel and Openoffice - Conditional Formatting loss Reply with quote

Sad Anyone having this problem ?

I've done a spreadsheet in Office (2000 I Think) at work, it's for lottery syndicate checking etc.

I did some conditional formatting in it to highlight any winnings / No that match etc - & when I load it into Openoffice (@home) the conditional format exists,

Now to the problem, IF I do conditional format in oOo & save it as Excel format (so that I can use it in work) the formatting is 'lost' when I reload it back into oOo. (If I save it in oOo format the formatting remains) - Of course I would prefer like to save it as M$ Excel format, so it can be used in work

I've tried 2 different ways of copying the formatting:-

1) Using oOo 'Tools> conditonal formatting' and adding the conditions required & then selecting one of the exisitng 'Excel_condFormat' option in the 'Cell Style' dropdown

2) Highlight one of the cells above where I want the formatting to take place, then Click & Drag the small square [bottom right corner] over the cell(s) below

I admit, at this time I have not tried loading the oOo modified document into Excel to see if the [oOo] conditioning format remains,

Is there a way to allow the [oOo] formatting to remain ?? - I'm guessing that saving in Excel format causes oOo formatting to be lost - is there a setting (or something) I can do

Any Help Appreciated & thanx in advance
rold5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does seem to be a problem that is reproducible, and would be nice to get a fix or a good workaround for it. I have the same problem here - OO 2.0 Novell, build 2.0.0.1

(I *know* this was a 2004 post I'm replying to, but if someone else runs into this, I hope my additional info is helpful in some way)

oocalc creates an Excel_CondFormat_1_1_1 and several variations _1_2_1, _1_2_2, etc. Monkeying around with these doesn't seem to permanently fix anything. On save/restore, OOcalc seems to just create new variants of these conditional formats.

To work around it, I built the greybar format I wanted by manually formatting a range of rows, then used Format->AutoFormat to save it. Then I could select a RANGE and apply the autoformat. This seems to set the physical contents of the cell formatting, and it stays there permanently.

Warning here though: if I select an entire sheet (ctrl-a), oocalc goes hard-lockup on me when I try to apply the new format. The only solution I could find was to select only a range of rows to apply my format to.
TerryE
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rold5, you caused me to do a double-take on this one. It's ages since guests have been allowed to post. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: