OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Typesetting like pro. publishers? Autocorrect, styles, help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanawef
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Typesetting like pro. publishers? Autocorrect, styles, help. Reply with quote

Dear Forums,

I am publishing books. I am using writer. I take a picture of every page of a book, put in Abbyy Finereader. It gives me accurate results, but in odd formating. I need the odd formatting for other purposes though that i wont get into here. When I save the file from abbyy, I put it in plain text, *.rtf, or *.doc.

My problems:
SPACES AT BEGINNING OF LINES:
Abbyy gives me results with spaces at the beginning and ends of each line, sometimes 2 3 or 4 or even 5. There is a feature in autocorrect where it says it will take away multiple spaces at the ends of lines. This isn't working for me. In fact, I don't think the autocorrect is working at all. I set it up, click ok, and go to apply, in the format menu, but nothing applies, it seems. I might try to reinstall to see if it works. But I found a work around, I made a paragraph "style," and then I have to drag the "paintbucket" over the whole text file - from top to bottom I sit there and hold the mouse highlighting 500 pages of the book. I am going to do many books too. More books than just this one. Thats how I solve that. Any suggestions for a better way?

MARGINS:
Abbyy also gives me different margins on each page. I can not find out how to change the margins on the entire document in Oowriter. Where is it? Isn't there some option where I can set margins for the entire document in one place? This is what I did last night to work around that, I set up a page style, and used the paint bucket again. It wouldn't work for me by dragging all the text from top to bottom, or ctrl-a selecting all text and painting the black selected text, so I put my finger on the 'down screen' button, and my mouse curser in the middle of the screen, and clicked the mouse button (to paint the page style with the correct margins), and then pushed 'down screen', then clicked the mouse button again to paint the page margin style, then 'down screen', then I did that 498 more times really fast, it took about 4 minutes, but isn't there a better way?

TYPESETTING LIKE THE PROS:
Most books that I want to reproduce do something like this: when the text reaches the end of the page, it does not take the whole word and bring it down to the next line if there is no room at the end of the paragraph to complete the word. It stops the word at the end of the margin and adds a hyphen. Thats the way it needs to be for my projects. This could be a bigger problem. Please listen while I explain...
In the books that I am scanning, this word wrap is how it looks in the original, with the hyphens at the margins. Now, as I OCR it in Abbyy finereader, thats what it gives me, so what I import it into open office, I have a bunch of line breaks with hyphenated words at the ends of the lines, and these don't match up correctly to the margins I have in open office. I don't want them too either. So, I go through each word that has a hyphen and let spell checker take care of that, no problem. The autocorrect has a feature that says "add lines together that are greater that 50%," that seems to be what I need, but as I said above, all the Autocorrect stuff isn't working for me, and I don't know how to work around this one besides manually go through and change each line, and if that is the case, I might as well be typing these entire books by hand and not bothering with OCR, but I have 50 books to do! So, what do you think I should do?

I don't know how to word wrap with hypehns at the margin. How do I do that?
I don't know how to get autocorrect/autoformat to work correctly, how do I do that?

And the things in 1, and 2, how do I do those too?

Are there any suggestions that anyone else has, experiences similar where they could share what they have done in a similar circumstance?

Thank you,
Mr. Jordan Whittacker.
jordanawef
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More problems:

The ocr software i use must format the page with every line as a parargaph. This is creating problems for me. So what i managed to do is use the autocorrect feature to combine them somehow, it is either using the greater than 50% line combination, or it is getting rid of the spaces that also follow the paragraphs (which are actually only lines(which almost all of which have spaces following, beginning each line with multiple spaces(this is because when the originals were scanned, the page was crooked slightly, so the OCR formats these as spaces at the beginning, with the text looking slanted to the left or right like this / \, and it can either do it chunky or smooth, and I must use smooth, so I have to deal with multiple spaces at the beginning of every line. and every line being a paragraph))).

So I correct these spaces by first cutting and pasting the entire document from notepad in XP, to open office, and then I use the autoformat to combine the lines. I have also discovered, after doing this, that I can now wrap the text automatically with the hyphenation feature under paragraph, so that is problem listed above #3 somewhat solved.

Any suggestions are welcome please.
jordanawef
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 questions:

is there anyway to set "find" (ctrl-f) to find unprinted characters?

and also,

is there any way to 'lock the text' to one page, and one page only. So if all the typed text is in one page, and more text on others, if I change the font size to a smaller size, the text from the bottom page won't pop up to the previous page, etc...?

Thank you,
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thilnk that we would need to see an example of the file that you are producing from the OCR program to be able to make any suggestions.

Handy places to post a file:
media fire http://www.mediafire.com/
or
mytempdir.com http://www.mytempdir.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: