OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo 3 beta and Postnet integration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spurred_On
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: OOo 3 beta and Postnet integration Reply with quote

I'm using OOo 3.0.0 beta, which I like a lot — except for addressing envelopes. I've read a bunch of posts about templates and macros to insert Postnet barcodes when creating envelopes in OOo 2, but I was hoping that for OOo 3 there would finally be a built in way to automatically generate Postnet barcodes. However, there seems to be no difference from OOo 2.x. Are there any plans for this feature to be included in OOo 3?

At present, I open WordPerfect to create envelopes with barcodes, which is not the way I want to use OOo. Is there a features forum for OOo3 to discuss this?

Tony
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Envelope addressing does not print barcodes (postnet zip-codes)"
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=5948

Notice the issue has no target milestone and only 18 votes. That means don't hold your breath, but you can add two votes there if you register for an account there.

Also, notice there is some kind of installable extension on that page.

Also, did you know Postnet will be obsolete next year?
* BleachBit
</signature>
Spurred_On
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to issue 5948 AndrewZ. I've voted for it and appended my request to the bottom of that issue.

Quote:
Also, did you know Postnet will be obsolete next year?

No, but I've now read up on it. The Postnet barcode will be replaced by (included into) the new Intelligent Mail barcode system, so the issue remains, the code changes.

Thanks again for pointing me over to the right issue.

Tony
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, comments on the Issue Tracker such as "Is anyone working on this" or "It has been X years" are somewhere between unnecessary and rude. I think no one intends to be rude, but it it can come across that way. The developers do the best they can with resources available to meet as many needs as possible. See the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_analysis for a general idea of how things get chosen
* BleachBit
</signature>
Spurred_On
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to be rude AndrewZ, but I was trying to get across the idea that it isn't a trivial issue, rather one that needs attention. The fact that the issue has been unresolved in six years was not a dig at developers, but a comment on the unimportance that the issue has been deemed, which you yourself noted. My question, "Is anyone working on this" was meant in the sense of "Is this issue now considered of low importantance, or is anyone still working on it?"

Both MS Word and WordPerfect have had this feature for many years. OOo is a very viable alternative to these two programs. Businesses are now looking at Linux as a cost efficient alternative to Windows and OOo as a cost efficient alternative to MS Word. This missing feature is holding businesses back from embracing OOo. I'd like to see that change, and making this feature available could make that difference.

I meant my post as a rousing call to resolve this issue, not as a rant at developers. I apologize if you or others took offense.

Tony
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spurred_On wrote:
I wasn't trying to be rude AndrewZ

I know Smile and I was not personally offended. Perhaps I was wrong for suggesting the word "rude."

Quote:
, but I was trying to get across the idea that it isn't a trivial issue, rather one that needs attention.

I know the developers hear this a lot. However, there is an issue of economics. Many people think, "If only OpenOffice.org did ______," but there are many things to fill in the blank, and there are limited resources which to fulfill demands.

Quote:
this" was meant in the sense of "Is this issue now considered of low importantance, or is anyone still working on it?"

I know it's cryptic, but by reading the issue page, you can make out this information without asking. Here are some clues

1. There are not many votes.
2. The "target milestone" is undetermined. If the answer to your questions were yes, there would probably be a target milestone for an version in the near future.
3. No substantive comments from developers since July 2005

Quote:
I meant my post as a rousing call to resolve this issue, not as a rant at developers.

They may take in the nice way. I am just sharing my opinion.

Another thought. If this is important, especially to businesses, they should pool together some funds to sponsor the work. This feature in particular should be easy to develop as an extension.
* BleachBit
</signature>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: