OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Something is so not right here.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Something is so not right here..... Reply with quote

Alright, I'm going to explain this the best way I can. I have a MiniMac with OS X 10.3.9. I am a website designer and have been using Adobe GoLive for years. I just recently started getting into databases with MySQL and PHP. I can't run my old GoLive on this MiniMac, even with the OS 9 Classic support running. The program dosen't function right... I will repeat a key stroke all by itself so I and up with something like this:

<htttttttttttttml>

even though I only press the 't' once.

So now that I have installed Apache and PHP and MySQL, I'm looking for ANY text editor that will allow me hardcode HTML and PHP Script. Open office seemed like a dream come true for me. I have been a Windows user for ever but I am switching to Mac.

That's where the problem comes in. I downloaded OpenOffice 2.4.0 for MacOSXPPC and proceeded to install it. Then I found out I need something called X11 from apple. Ok, got that and installed it. Then I go back to OOo only to be almost devistated when all I got was an xterm window with a command prompt Sad I looked in the Howto_OOo_2.0_Mac_OSX_english.pdf, but when I run 'type X -version' in X11, I get is this:

X is /usr/X11R6/bin/X
bash: type: -version: not found

what is that supposed to mean? System Profiler tells me I have X11 version 1.0 but the X11 terminal can't even find that out.

I don't know what the deal is here, I understand this is an Open Source software, a is Apache and PHP, I hope someone can help me out with this. I really like this Open Office app., I mean it looks really good anyway, and I really want to get this up and running. Confused Confused Confused
keme

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Office does not include a plain text editor. You can save as plain text from Writer, but that seems a little backwards. What's wrong with Textedit?
Mac newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text Edit on't let me save as a .html. I have to go into the finder after and change the extension, but then when I load the page in Safari or IE I get these wierd lines of alien lingo at the top and bottom of the page. I figure it's the encoding that comes with an .rtf file. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even be bothering with this.
MrEkted
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mac newbie.
As keme says, OpenOffice doesn't include a plain text editor.

However, as a web designer myself who refuses to use anything other than Mac, I can bring you a solution!
There are a number of decent HTML editors out there for mac which include things like markup highlighting and line numbers etc.

My personal favorite:
Coda - free demo or available for a tiny fee. Very polished, very useful.

Alternatives: Taco which is similar to Coda but less polished. Also requires a small fee. BBEdit - long the staple of macheads, possibly the best text editor out there. Takes a little while to configure and needs an update, but very feature rich and professional. It's also free if you get the BBEdit Lite Smile

I can't provide links as i'm at work at the moment and they lock all external weblinks on the weekends aside from essential ones, but do a couple of basic google searches and you'll find what you're after.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: