OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

openoffice save as doc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gelson
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: openoffice save as doc Reply with quote

Hi,
We have a problem:when we save some text as doc the next problem happens:
In some text parts the character size is changed.
Do you know how can I solve it?
We use 1.0.1
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its only in some parts? or in the whole document?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gelson
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: problem in doc Reply with quote

It'a only in parts
thanks
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you try to find out first is.

does the document use 1 size and 1 font on the whole document.
if it doesn't, than maybe the font that isn't supported in OOo in changed in size
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure whether we are talking about the same thing here. However there is a rather weird problem with OOo1.0.1 where if you make format changes (eg font sizes etc) to a document and save it in a foreign format, when you reopen the document the changes will appear not to have been saved. This can apply to a number of things, one example being transition of powerpoint slides.

Funnily enough, the documents will be OK when opened in their native apps i.e it should be OK when opened in Word.

Fixed now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently encountering a problem that sounds quite similar with 1.0.2 on Mandrake 9.1. I'm trying to write out my resume in .doc, .rtf and .html, but the formatting gets munged in everything but HTML. Surprisingly, RTF comes back the worst, with whole paragraphs showing up in bold under OO and Italicized under Word. Additionally under OO some hyperlinks' font size increases from 10 to 12. The .doc version in its entirety goes from Helvetica 10 to 12 for no reason that I can conceive.

After spending most of the afternoon trying to find something that works reliably it looks like my only portable option is HTML; too bad most HR people only accept resumes in Word. Is this problem likely to be fixed in 1.0.3?

thanks,
David
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

I haven't gone to OOo1.0.3, but the problem does appear to have been fixed in the OOo1.1 beta, although .rtf conversion still appears to be worse than anything else.

The OOo 1.1 beta has an additional option, namely export to pdf. As I assume you don't want people messing about with your resume, this would seem to be your best option I think, and it has the advantage that nearly everyone will be able to open it.

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<i>although .rtf conversion still appears to be worse than anything else</i>

It seems awfully ironic to me that the format designed for platform independence should be the worst. I could (somewhat) understand the .rtf only getting munged when viewed via some other WP, but surely OO should be able to read its own .rtf output, right?
{sigh}

I'll give .pdf a shot, and actually you're quite right that I don't want anyone altering my resume.

thanks,
David
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
<i>although .rtf conversion still appears to be worse than anything else</i>

It seems awfully ironic to me that the format designed for platform independence should be the worst. I could (somewhat) understand the .rtf only getting munged when viewed via some other WP, but surely OO should be able to read its own .rtf output, right?
{sigh}
thanks,
David

OOo do have problems with its own RTF exports... and they won't fix all the problems read on:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2192#2192

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a depressing read. Truly it's appalling that after decades of word processing we still have to worry about silly issues like document format. Thanks to the OO team for working as hard as they do though swimming against the tide created by propietary formats. I've just installed 1.1 Beta and the formatting, while not perfect, is *much* better.

David
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general note here, my recommendation is for pdf format to be used, wherever possible. It's dead easy to check how it looks, and can be virtually guaranteed to look the same at the other end, as the fonts seem to be embedded in the document and so seem to come out right whether the same fonts are installed at the other end or not.

I've tried this saving a pdf in Windows and opening in Linux so can confirm it appears to work.

I reckon this must apply to 80-90% to the documents that are sent to 3rd parties.

Ian
dfrench

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the pdf approach but even here problems exist with features that are not currently supported (or working). For example - hypertext links.
Users really have to make a few decisions.
1. Do you want a 100% functionally identical copy of proprietary product for free??? Give up now and steal a copy of MSx
2. Do you want to be able to communicate with 'the world'? Going forward, I would look to a product that has openness as a fundamental and hope for some standardisation along the lines of OASIS being adopted for input and output. In the mean time PDF export looks good.
3. Do you want to communicate with the few in a co-operative editing way. Either pick one product and platform or a common subset of functionality between a set of products. In this respect OOo is doing a good job at a popular price.
To help the users it would be useful if the incompatible bits are identified a bit more clearly than spread over entries in this forum. Perhaps one of the heavy word processing users could kick something off for the documentation project?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: