OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

XY Chart ranges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Jenkins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: XY Chart ranges Reply with quote

I am a long time user of Lotus 123, fairly familiar (reluctantly) with Excel, and a newcomer to OOo Calc.

I have just set up an XY graph in Excel with three separate sets of xy data for three lines.

When I open it in OOo Calc I find that all three lines have been allocated the x range data from the first (ie leftmost) line, and the chart therefore displays incorrectly.

Is this the way it works, or is there a way to allocate separate x ranges?

Also I note that when I select "modify data range" all the y ranges are listed first, with the x range listed last. Is that the way it is supposed to work? Isn't that a bit anti-intuitive, since the x range is the leftmost range when you draw the chart from scratch.

Also is there a way to save a chart format as the default (symbol type size and colour etc)?

TIA

Doug
dfrench

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this the way it works,
YES
Have a search through this forum to see various suggestions for coping with the perceived deficiencies of charts generally and xy in particular.
Have a look at graphics.openoffice.org to see what is being done about it.
Doug Jenkins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: XY Chart ranges Reply with quote

dfrench wrote:
Quote:
Is this the way it works,
YES
Have a search through this forum to see various suggestions for coping with the perceived deficiencies of charts generally and xy in particular.
Have a look at graphics.openoffice.org to see what is being done about it.

Thanks for the reply.

Had a look, and have seen your workaround.

To be fair, the situation is much the same in 123, and has been for the last 20 years, so I'm quite familiar with working with a single X range and muyltiple Y ranges, I was just a bit surprised that OOo worked the same way.

Hope it doesn't take 20 years to get fixed Wink
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: XY Chart ranges Reply with quote

Doug Jenkins wrote:
I am a long time user of Lotus 123, fairly familiar (reluctantly) with Excel, and a newcomer to OOo Calc.

I have just set up an XY graph in Excel with three separate sets of xy data for three lines.

When I open it in OOo Calc I find that all three lines have been allocated the x range data from the first (ie leftmost) line, and the chart therefore displays incorrectly.

Is this the way it works, or is there a way to allocate separate x ranges?
Doug

Sorry OOo, but I have to say that this is possible in Excel. The key is to first do just one, then drag another set into that graph area for more options. Choose Categories (X values) in the first column, to choose New Series in "Add Cells as", and choose Columns in "Values (Y) in". The initial graph choice was lines.

I hope this is clear enough. Unfortunately, when this file is saved into Open Office, the chart changes and the separate graphs are not as they should be. Also, trying to do the same directly in CaIc results in a replacement, not an additional line. I will be looking into options in Quattro Pro.

The examples I used simply had three pairs of columns with sets of values in each first column of a pair, and three linear vlaues in the right side of each pair. I.E. three *different* sets of ordered pairs in columns.

I got also another source from a friend:
TI-Interactive.A trial download is
available at http://education.ti.com/uk/product/software/tiinteractive.html

David.
r_vinoya
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David...
I think the thread below is related to what you are asking...
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6830&highlight=

Hope this help in some way. Razz
Doug J
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: XY Chart ranges Reply with quote

Just to clarify, it is possible to plot xy graphs with separate x ranges for each series as follows:

Say you have three series, with 9 points in each, arrange the data:

Series 1: X values A1:A9, Y values B1:B9
Series 2: X values A11:A19, Y values C11:C19
Series 3: X values A21:A29, Y values D21:D29

So the X values are all in one column, and the Y values are on the same row as the associated X value, with each series in a different column.

Select the range A1:D29, and create the graph as usual.

Why do we get that box asking to sort the data? If I want my data sorted I'll do it before I create the graph.
dfrench

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you are highlighting a previously posted work-around (by me actually) you will find that this behaves in all respects like a single range of x values. The time when this is most unsatisfactory is when your are plotting values from different domains or where disjoint sets from a single domain are required. ( eg if you wished to demonstrate that the shape of a graph was similar for two time periods) In these cases it is useful to be able to declare multiple x axes as well as multiple y-axes.
Doug J
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfrench wrote:
Although you are highlighting a previously posted work-around (by me actually) you will find that this behaves in all respects like a single range of x values. The time when this is most unsatisfactory is when your are plotting values from different domains or where disjoint sets from a single domain are required. ( eg if you wished to demonstrate that the shape of a graph was similar for two time periods) In these cases it is useful to be able to declare multiple x axes as well as multiple y-axes.

I think we are after two different things here. If you want to plot two (or more) sets of x-y values as separate series then the method described will do it.

If you want multiple x-axes then it won't (but that wasn't what the original post was about). As far as I know no other spreadsheet offers multiple x-axes either.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: XY Chart ranges Reply with quote

Doug J wrote:
Just to clarify, it is possible to plot xy graphs with separate x ranges for each series as follows:

Say you have three series, with 9 points in each, arrange the data:

Series 1: X values A1:A9, Y values B1:B9
Series 2: X values A11:A19, Y values C11:C19
Series 3: X values A21:A29, Y values D21:D29

So the X values are all in one column, and the Y values are on the same row as the associated X value, with each series in a different column.

Select the range A1:D29, and create the graph as usual.

Why do we get that box asking to sort the data? If I want my data sorted I'll do it before I create the graph.

OK, but far from elegant.

David.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: XY Chart ranges Reply with quote

Doug Jenkins wrote:

Take a look here:

www.padowan.dk

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: