OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED] Converting a newline separated list into a table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Converting a newline separated list into a table Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is really simple but I've looked through the help and the forums. I'm probably having trouble searching for the answer because I don't really know what to call it.

I have a list. One item per line, in a regular text file. I've decided I want to put this list into one column of a table, one row per item. If I paste the list into one cell of a table, it all get stuffed into that cell. If I have 3 items and I highlight three cells, then I get the three items pasted three times.

My actual list is well over a hundred items, so I don't want to do this manually. I could write a sed/perl script to convert it to an HTML table, then paste that in. Or probably write an ooo macro if I'm willing to learn. But I can't escape this feeling like I'm missing something and there's a much easier way. As a side note, if it's possible/easier in calc but not writer, that works for me just fine Smile

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Soup

Last edited by soup on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlight the list, Table>Covert>Text to Table. Separate text at "Paragraph". OK.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Converting a newline separated list into a table Reply with quote

soup wrote:

I have a list. One item per line, in a regular text file.

Rename the file as Filename.CSV. Load that into the spreadsheet as you would a regular spreadsheet file. Follow the dialogue.

David.
soup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
Thanks a lot to both of you Smile

Soup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: