OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Disable most automatic formating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmccombs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Disable most automatic formating Reply with quote

Hi--
Newbie here. I would like to disable most automatic formating, except for wordwrap and spell check.

How do I do this? And then, how do I make it the default for the foreseeable future?

TIA
-- Keith Confused
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Disable most automatic formating Reply with quote

kmccombs wrote:
Hi--
Newbie here. I would like to disable most automatic formating, except for wordwrap and spell check.

How do I do this? And then, how do I make it the default for the foreseeable future?

TIA
-- Keith Confused

Tools > Autocorrect > is the place to start, particularly the Options tab.
kmccombs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkrideau --
That worked very well for the one document I was working on.

Now, please, how do I make those settings my 'default' for all documents in the future? I've read and re-read the help file regarding "template management", but haven't gotten anywhere with it. So guess I need the 'idiot' version.

TIA
-- Keith Confused
budfox
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that creating the proper template file is almost more important in OO than the document file itself. You work from the Template option on the File column, set up what you want, and then save as the default template. Details can be found elsewhere. When you do load a file, it will "default" to the Template so created.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmccombs wrote:
jrkrideau --
That worked very well for the one document I was working on.

Now, please, how do I make those settings my 'default' for all documents in the future? I've read and re-read the help file regarding "template management", but haven't gotten anywhere with it. So guess I need the 'idiot' version.

TIA
-- Keith Confused

No template is required to preserve the Autocorrect settings for future documents. The Autocorrect settings are program options which should be automatically saved in your user configuration. They shouldn't change on future documents unless the user changes them manually. Templates are used to store default document settings such as page size and style definitions. Are you having a problem with a specific setting?
kmccombs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budfox and BillP --
Thank you for your replies.

It does appear that the Autocorrect settings (or lack thereof) is automatically preserved for future documents.

However, I can imagine that sometime I might want to enable one or more of the Autocorrect settings for one particular document, without having it enabled for all but a few more future ones. Then I might want to save these settings somewhere. I presume that somewhere would be a 'template'. Is that correct? If so how would I go about it.

Or perhaps a better question would be, "where can I find "OO for idiots"?" You know, where things such as 'style', 'layout', and 'template' are explained in simple non-recursive terms. The OO help files appear to start somewhere around 3rd grade, and I'm still in kindergarten!

-- Keith Confused
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmccombs wrote:
budfox and BillP --
Thank you for your replies.

It does appear that the Autocorrect settings (or lack thereof) is automatically preserved for future documents.

However, I can imagine that sometime I might want to enable one or more of the Autocorrect settings for one particular document, without having it enabled for all but a few more future ones. Then I might want to save these settings somewhere. I presume that somewhere would be a 'template'. Is that correct? If so how would I go about it.

Or perhaps a better question would be, "where can I find "OO for idiots"?" You know, where things such as 'style', 'layout', and 'template' are explained in simple non-recursive terms. The OO help files appear to start somewhere around 3rd grade, and I'm still in kindergarten!

-- Keith Confused

http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html
kmccombs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkrideau --
Thanks for the link. That's really helpful.
-- Keith Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: