OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Brother printer not activated by Open office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbyn
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Brother printer not activated by Open office Reply with quote

I can print a pdf from my pdf reader but as of today I can not print to my Brother printer via cups. Is there a solution to this?

Robin

When you love a delicate rose remember she has thorns and a root. In time the petals will fall away.
Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed the drivers from Brother?

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html
robbyn
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Cups. It does print from my PDF program. I think I am using the Brother driver.

When you love a delicate rose remember she has thorns and a root. In time the petals will fall away.
Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac or Linux? If Linux, which?
robbyn
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu Hardy 8.04

Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Hardy, go to Applications > Accessories > Text Editor. Type something and see if the Text Editor has contact with your Brother printer and is able to print. If the Text Editor cannot print, then from the Hardy toolbar go to System > Administration > Printing. Choose the Brother printer from the list and print a test page. If the test doesn't print, then I recommend going to the Brother site I posted above and downloading the CUPS Debian drivers for your printer model. (I have a Brother DCP 7020 which is working perfectly in Hardy with the Brother drivers.)

If the Text Editor is able to print, though, then open OOo Writer. Go to File > Printer Setup. The Name should be set to your Brother printer. If not, choose it from the menu. Check the Type listed there and make sure it says CUPS followed by your printer model. Check the Comment, and your printer model should show there. If these settings seem correct, type something and go to File > Page preview. Make sure you see the page as it should print. Then try to print.

If, on the other hand, nothing shows up under File > Printer Setup, then OOo does not see your printer.

If everything is failing to produce a print, there's a web site called linuxprinting.org. Look for your printer model in the "Open Printing Database" there. You can check the Linux compatibility, based on user input. Again, if you installed the Brother printer without using the drivers from the Brother site, I recommend downloading Brother's drivers for your model and reinstalling the printer.
robbyn
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have it working at last. I think the problem is connected with VBox. When Win2k wiithin VB is loaded it does not allow printing from Ubuntu. It seems that this can continue even after VB has been closed.

Have you seen any solution to this problem?

Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't run Windows inside Ubuntu, so I don't know anything about that problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: