OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem typing

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jyllks
General User
General User


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Problem typing Reply with quote

Help!

I like OOWriter 2.4 but recently when typing every time I press enter the font and size will change. I have a lot do to very soon with lots of inserts. I was never trained in typing or computers but have managed quite well until now. I think it must have something to do with the default setting but I cannot sort it,

Can someone advise, please,
jyllks Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Problem typing Reply with quote

jyllks wrote:
Help!

I like OOWriter 2.4 but recently when typing every time I press enter the font and size will change. I have a lot do to very soon with lots of inserts. I was never trained in typing or computers but have managed quite well until now. I think it must have something to do with the default setting but I cannot sort it,

Can someone advise, please,
jyllks Sad


What Operating System ?

Is what is happening something like this:
Quote:
This is my first sentence

This is a new sentence after I press enter

If so it may be that you have a style that when you press return goes to another style

A good example of this is to use one of the heading styles . When you press return you will go from the Heading Style to the text style.

Try this. Bring up the Stylist ( press F11) and select the Style Heading1. Type in some text and hit return. Are you getting something like what your problem ?

If so you can change the settings in the Style that you are using ( it will be highlighted in the Stylist) by right-clicking on the Style and choosing Modify. Look under the Organizer tab and see what Next Style is. Change it is needed.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jyllks
General User
General User


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a quick reply but
F11 brings up an oblong box with 4 little squares top left and on the right a paint pot and a little square.
Below these are listed on the left:
Complimentary close
Default
1st line indent
Hanging indent
Heading
Heading 1 down to 10
List indent
marginalia
Signature
Text body
Text body indent

All I want to do is choose my font and size and keep it at that. And to be able to change font and size occasionally. I don't need all these things that super secretary's probably want and need.

I must be in the wrong place because I pressed F11 and then Style heading 1 but it shrinks back again. I have just tried again and I got the type I wanted but then it wouldn't type the same in the next line!

Sorry to be such a dunce! It's windows XP
jyllks Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyllks wrote:
Thanks for such a quick reply but
F11 brings up an oblong box with 4 little squares top left and on the right a paint pot and a little square.
Below these are listed on the left:
Complimentary close
Default
1st line indent
Hanging indent
Heading
Heading 1 down to 10
List indent
marginalia
Signature
Text body
Text body indent


That's it. !


Quote:
All I want to do is choose my font and size and keep it at that. And to be able to change font and size occasionally. I don't need all these things that super secretary's probably want and need.


Trust me lifewith OOo is much easier with this. Smile It takes a bit of work at the start but you will avoid all sorts of problems later.

Quote:
I must be in the wrong place because I pressed F11 and then Style heading 1 but it shrinks back again. I have just tried again and I got the type I wanted but then it wouldn't type the same in the next line!


Okay. To use a style in the Stylist once you have pressed F11,
Select the box with the ΒΆ ( left-most box) this gives you the paragraph styles.

1. Click in a paragraph in the text.
2. The style used in the text should be highlighted in the Stylist. ( If you don't see it , go to the botton of the stylist and select All Styles and scroll around til you see it)
3. Click on another style ( If your text is default, try clicking on Heading1 It should give you a good contrast. Then try clicking of a few other styles to see what you get. )

Now you see how paragraph styles work, create a new style by right-clicking on the default style and selecting New. Give the style a new name and experiment with what you can get under the various tabs.

After all this you can to back to the document that is giving you the problem and see if you have a style problem


For a lot more information on Styles (and almost everything else you should ever need to know about OOO) see http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html
The various Styles chapters are very useful as is one about templates.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jyllks
General User
General User


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so stupid. Now I'm having a complete mental block!!! I will look at the link you have kindly sent - probably in the morning when I'm a bit brighter.
Thank you very much for trying to help it is appreciated. Once I do get the hang of it I'll wonder what all the problems were about,
Thank you again,
jyllks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyllks wrote:
I am so stupid. Now I'm having a complete mental block!!! I will look at the link you have kindly sent - probably in the morning when I'm a bit brighter.
Thank you very much for trying to help it is appreciated. Once I do get the hang of it I'll wonder what all the problems were about,
Thank you again,
jyllks


It's always obvious once you know what you're doing Smile

Quote:
Napier's logarithms were not originally put forward in what proved to be their most convenient form. It was due to Henry Briggs, Professor of Geometry in Gresham College, who first made the four-day trip from London to Edinburgh in 1615, that the base 10 logarithms were properly defined (Napier admitted, during their first correspondence, that the use of base 10 had already occurred to him). The remark made by Briggs on first meeting Napier face to face is immortal in the history of mathematics, and may be reproduced here:

"My Lord, I have undertaken this long journey purposely to see your person, and to know by what engine of wit or ingenuity you came first to think of this most excellent help unto astronomy, viz. the Logarithms; but, my Lord, being by you found out, I wonder nobody else found it out before, when now known it is so easy."

_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group