OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Equation Editor not visible

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
temuyin
General User
General User


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Equation Editor not visible Reply with quote

Hi,

When I select "Insert--> Object--> Formula" in writer, the Equation Editor does not appear. According to the openoffice wiki, it should. Is there anything else I need to enable in order to see the equation editor?

regards
t.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Equation Editor not visible Reply with quote

temuyin wrote:
Hi,

When I select "Insert--> Object--> Formula" in writer, the Equation Editor does not appear. According to the openoffice wiki, it should. Is there anything else I need to enable in order to see the equation editor?

regards
t.


It should appear.
What OS and what version of OOo
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
temuyin
General User
General User


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Im on XP Professional 2002, SP2
OpenOffice 2.3.0

regards
t.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
David
Super User
Super User


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 5668
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download and try MathType. You can use it full for 30 days. After that it does not disappear, but reverts to the free, lesser version as is available in Word and WordPerfect. It is not linked directly, but if you have the hardware and operating system you say, multitasking should be no problem. I find it a decided advantage in fact.

The Lite version of MathType has features most people would use to advantage.

Another free program slips my mind. I'll add it later. It's entirely free, but a little moe awkward and less complete than the MathType option, so I stick to that.

Why MathType? I started out decades ago typing lines in DOS, thinking how clever I was to be able to do that. I don't do that any more, but use any available GUI.

David.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temuyin wrote:
Hi

Im on XP Professional 2002, SP2
OpenOffice 2.3.0

regards
t.


Basically the same as me (2.3.1). I'd try running a repair ( Control Panel > Add/Remove)
and see if that helps. You might also want to consider updating to 2.4.x
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 07 Mar 2003
Posts: 9183
Location: Lexinton, Kentucky, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Insert > Obj > Formula look in the middle just below the horizontal scroll bar. If you see a series of dots then put your cursor on them and if Show pops up then click them. If Hide shows up then move the cursor down slightly until it shows two heads with = in the middle and drag up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
temuyin
General User
General User


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried to upgrade to the newest OpenOffice (2.4.1) but the problem remains.

I need to emphasis that with "Equation Editor" I mean the graphical user interface for writing equations, the "Command Icon Box". I do see the "Dialog Icon Box", however, its hard to use not knowing what to type.

Other programs like MathType are probably good, however, for now I would use openoffice if I could. (otherwise I would just type everything in LaTex . Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temuyin wrote:
Hi,

I tried to upgrade to the newest OpenOffice (2.4.1) but the problem remains.

I need to emphasis that with "Equation Editor" I mean the graphical user interface for writing equations, the "Command Icon Box". I do see the "Dialog Icon Box", however, its hard to use not knowing what to type.

Other programs like MathType are probably good, however, for now I would use openoffice if I could. (otherwise I would just type everything in LaTex . Smile


Look at the bottom of the window and see if there is a set of '... " that indicate a closed window. You may have closed the window somehow. I don't see why it should be like this in both versions.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
David
Super User
Super User


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 5668
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temuyin wrote:
Other programs like MathType are probably good, however, for now I would use openoffice if I could. (otherwise I would just type everything in LaTex . Smile


It's GUI, and generates the Latex, or an equation object, as needed.
The other free GUI program, not so good, but good enough for some, is called Hermitech Formulator.

David.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temuyin wrote:
Hi,

Other programs like MathType are probably good, however, for now I would use openoffice if I could. (otherwise I would just type everything in LaTex . Smile


LyX has a great math editor Smile
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group