OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

MathType
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pincopallino
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Are are a couple of screeshots Reply with quote

OK, let me be more "concrete". A document created with Word XP, and then opened with Writer, without doing any editing. Below are two screenshots of the same equation, the first taken from Word, the second taken from Writer.

WORD

WRITER

(reload if it does not appers immediately)

Now, do you understand my problem? I have hundreds of equations, all corrupted even badly than this! Crying or Very sad
soofsoof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand...

By the way, it is indeed fine in the Presentation, but I cannot change the color of the equation text - always bleck. How do I change the color?
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to options, load and save, Microsoft office, and uncheck everything. Your problem seems to me as if OOo is "translating" your math type object. Unchecking everything may be work...
pincopallino
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB wrote:
Go to options, load and save, Microsoft office, and uncheck everything. Your problem seems to me as if OOo is "translating" your math type object. Unchecking everything may be work...

I did what you suggested, but nothing changed. Exactly the same result... Crying or Very sad
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have no idea... Math Type works fine for me (when I use it...) Are you try to install MathType after install OOo? In my machine never entered the MSoffice, and I remember that in a old one, with office97 and OOo 1.0.3, mathtype work bad...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here: http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/software/jex/
does this help? I can't test this for myself at the moment.
pincopallino
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Look here: http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/software/jex/
does this help? I can't test this for myself at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to work. The second step of installation, namely "As an ordinary user click here to install Jex into Openoffice" gives the following error:
Action not supported. Invalid procedure call
Not a very useful message.
I have Java 1.4.2_03, OO1.1 and MathType 5 installed, with all the necessary fonts.

Frustrated...
pincopallino
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've tried on my laptop too, and got exactly the same error. I have noted that the installation program does not asks me to allow macro execution, as described in the instruction file. I don't know why.
Anybody having experience with this editor?
Thanks in advance.
ooo-newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just about exporting your files to Ooo you could just open the troublesome formulae in Mathtype in Ms Office and then copy-paste from Mathtype into Writer. It worked for me - the only drawback is that you the pasted formulae are image objects under Ooo. But at least you have them in Ooo then and for any additions you could then just use Mathtype in Ooo (Insert - Object - Ole Objects - Further Objects). For alterations of existing formulae though you would have to edit them in their original file in Ms Office.

-hope that helps-
kva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: How to add MathType in Toolbar Reply with quote

How to add MathType in Toolbar ?

thanks,
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MathType frequently. If you want direct compatibility, you will need to contact the MathType authors. You can still edit indirectly if you save your MathType results elsewhere, and recall them for editing then copy/paste again into the document. Sure, a PIA, but direct compatibility of MathType with other software is again a MathType decision, not an OpenOffice decision. On the other hand, if Word and WordPerfect authors payed for the privilege, so might OpenOffice ...but then it wouldn't any longer be free.

As Harpo Marx once said when it was pointed out at a charity performance that he had been holding the harp wrongly, "So, what do you want for nothing?"

[I believe that the toolbar option is also a decision of MathType authors specific to certain other programs. A more general quesiton might be how to run ANY other external program from the toolbar ...and still not have it tied directly to OpenOffice in the sense implied here.]

David.
Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to add MathType in Toolbar Reply with quote

kva wrote:
How to add MathType in Toolbar ?

Follow the instructions here:
Openoffice & Mathtype

This gives a Mathtype toolbar in OOo. It works with MT 6.0 too. These instructions will put Mathtype in the toolbar if you install the pkg file as directed. I know because I followed these instructions myself. I don't know mathematics well, so I can't say the extent to which all of Mathtype's symbols & styles will come over.

David wrote:
Sure, a PIA, but direct compatibility of MathType with other software is again a MathType decision, not an OpenOffice decision.

This is not an either/or question. Just because the Mathtype authors fail to include Openoffice support, doesn't mean Openoffice development is unable to work Mathtype into Openoffice independently. The macro I link above seems to work okay: evidence that it would be possible for OOo development to take on such tasks as this. The lack of support from the authors is as much a decision of OOo development as it is of Mathtype.
keme

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to add MathType in Toolbar Reply with quote

Bug wrote:
... The lack of support from the authors is as much a decision of OOo development as it is of Mathtype.
Well, in a way that's true. Both sides can decide to integrate the other application. Still, there are some strategy decisions involved.
I am not working as a developer, so the following perspectives are based on educated guesses rather than specific knowledge. Still, here goes...

While mathtype can be used as a standalone application, in most cases it works as a plugin to other software. Open Office is generally used as a standalone application.
A parable: Say if you have the Chavalette Cravatte sports car, and want to replace the standard seats with Racero racing seats for that special racing feel. After acquiring the seats you find that they will not fit. Would you expect Chavalette to make their cars compatible, or do you expect Racero to make their seats compatible?

If the OOo development team were to work on interfacing every plugin imaginable, there'd be a lot of resources spent on somewhat marginal areas (I know, some people would be offended by the term "Marginal". The maths editor is very important to a fair number of people, including me. As far as general Office use goes, I guess this is still marginal.) Also, using third party SDK to access the plugin's API may well introduce licensing conditions that are incompatible with the GPL (see below). And when you interface one plugin, you will be expected to interface the next one too. Strategy: Focus on the application core and leave plugin interfacing to third parties.

With larger standalone suites (like accounting software) the plugin/standalone relationship is perhaps not as clear. Still, I'd say the Office suite is the general purpose application (the office "hub" as it were), which every other application may need to communicate through. So, the strategic decision will be the same.

Both practically and with respect to licensing it would be easier for the developers of "peripheral" applications to interface into the office suites than the other way around. They'd also have a smaller number of suites to interface into. As many have freely available SDKs, any third party with the proper skills may do the work.

Specifically for MathType (if I'm reading the conditions right) the SDK licensing permits redistribution of what's made "...only internally to employees within your company or organization, or to faculty, staff and students within your academic institution." So while the software is free (in a limited version), that freedom extends only to the price. Any other freedom (including the use of the API) is severely limited.
Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: How to add MathType in Toolbar Reply with quote

keme wrote:
So while the software is free (in a limited version), that freedom extends only to the price. Any other freedom (including the use of the API) is severely limited.

On a less philosophical note, I know too little mathematics to say whether OOo Math has real (i.e., not subjective) deficiencies compared with Mathtype, but why don't OOo users adopt OOo Math and ditch Mathtype?

Also, to kva again, just so it doesn't get lost up there, follow these instructions to put a Mathtype toolbar in OOo Writer:

Openoffice & Mathtype
keme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to add MathType in Toolbar Reply with quote

Bug wrote:
keme wrote:
So while the software is free (in a limited version), that freedom extends only to the price. Any other freedom (including the use of the API) is severely limited.

On a less philosophical note, I know too little mathematics to say whether OOo Math has real (i.e., not subjective) deficiencies compared with Mathtype, but why don't OOo users adopt OOo Math and ditch Mathtype?
They don't because there are deficiencies. There are some things that MathType does easily, but OOo Math does clumsily, if at all. A few that I know of:
- Using range (from/to) for set operators, like what's available for series and integrals.
- The double harpoon to indicate equilibrium in a formula for a chemical reaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: