OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Configuration settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Configuration settings Reply with quote

I'm an enthusiastic user of OpenOffice but I'm getting al little bored with a lot of confirmation dialog boxes OpenOffiice presents you with. Is there a way to configure OpenOffice so that it won't ask me If want to save in OpenOffice format?

More in general : Is there a global configuration file of any kind which allows you to do custom settings?

Regards,
Maurice
DannyB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if there is a setting to prevent the "Do you want to save?" question.

OOo stores its configuration data in two layers....
1. The "Share" layer.
2. The "User" layer.

The Share layer is always in your OOo\share directory. (Where OOo represents your installation directory.)

The User layer can be in one of several places.

On Linux, it is in your home directory, something like....

/home/danny/OpenOffice.org1.1.1/user

On Windows, in a non-network install, it is something like...

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.0\user

actually....

OOo\user

If you did a Windows "network" install, it is probably somewhere else, such as somewhere under....

C:\Documents and Settings\dbrewer\.....something......
or...
C:\Windows\Profiles\dbrewer\......something.....
or something like that.

The Share layer of configuration applys to everyone.

The User layer applies only to YOU. Any settings in the User layer shadow (i.e. override) the same settings in the Share layer.

Whenever you change anything in OOo, you are changing the User layer.

Using the Configuration Manager API, it is possible from macros or other programs to alter the configuration data behind the scenes. Some configuration settings exist which do not have a representation in the User Interface.

The configuration data is in XML.

Hope this helps.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maurice
I assume you are trying to save in MS format instead, but want to stop the nagging?

If so, select tools\options\load/save\general and change the default format for the document types. At that point you will be nagged about information loss but you won't see it again as OOo will default to the selected format when you save future documents.

Ian
andreas.mair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Updating settings Reply with quote

Hi,

after updating OOo I always have to update my settings manually. Is (will) there be a way to do this automatically?

Regards,
Andreas
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreas

The easiest way to do it is to uninstall your existing version of OOo via OOo\setup. When you see the option box "delete all files" make sure it is unchecked. Then click OK to uninstall.

When the new version is installed ensure that it goes into the directory vacated by the old version. You will be asked where you want to install it - use the "browse" button to go to the directory. When you launch your new OOo, it will have all the user settings as they will not have been deleted.

A word of warning - only do this if you are upgrading to a proper release version (say OOo 1.1.1).

Ian
andreas.mair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

OOo is installed in /opt/OpenOffice.org/, with user settings in $HOME/OpenOffice.org1.1.0. I thought OOo 1.1.1 would use $HOME/OpenOffice.org1.1.1. So my user settings should be gone, aren't they?

Regards,
Andreas
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreas

Sorry about that, I thought it was Windows! Don't know why I made that assumption, though.

For Linux would you not first do a user uninstall,a network uninstall then a fresh network installation and then, finally, a fresh user installatio?. So long as you keep to the same directories and don't change the directory names to reflect new versions,which can give problems. For example the user file will be set to point at say opt\OOo1.1.0 so if you change that directory to opt\OOo1.1.1 you are bound to get issues. Keep the directories the same and I can't see how you would get a problem.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: