OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Chapter-relative formula numbering in a master document

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broken93
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Chapter-relative formula numbering in a master document Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently working on a thesis in OOo 2.4. I have set up a master document that references one document per chapter. So far this has worked quite well. I have outline numbering configured in each chapter document. I auto-number captions for tables, figures, and equations. In each chapter, I select a field and select "number by chapter" which works fine within the document -- for example, in Chapter 2, under outline numbering, I have it start with chapter 2. My figures are thus named 2.1, 2.2, the tables are 2.1, 2.2, and the equations are also 2.1, 2.2, ...

When I insert the chapter 2 document into the master, everything lines up as expected -- the figures are correctly numbered 2.1; the tables are numbered 2.1; but the equations are just (n) with no chapter prefix. I can't edit the field, obviously, because I'm in the master document. Did I do something wrong? Again, when I open the document itself the chapter prefixes are there on the equation numbers. Updating fields seems to have no effect.

Thanks in advance...

--Jeb
broken93
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump?
broken93
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have not resolved this problem. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? Is this a bug that needs to be filed?
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a user to user forum, not a customer support forum, so you cannot always expect to get an answer very quickly.

In your case you have to activate numbering in Tools - Outline numbering in the master document as well as in the sub documents.

If your your problem has been solved, please edit the first post of this thread (Edit button) and add [Solved] to the start of the subject line.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using FN+F3 to number your equations?
broken93
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using FN+F3 for equation numbering. Outline numbering is in effect in both the master document and the subdocuments. It appears that the outline numbering by chapter works for the figures and tables; for example, after inserting a subdocument into the master, the figures and tables are numbered

(1.1, 1.2, ...)

but the formulas are still numbered (1,2,...n).

Viewing the formulas in the subdocument, they are numbered

(1.1, 1.2, ...) as expected (as are the tables and formulas)...

So I suppose my question is, assuming the same styles are in place in the master and the subdocuments, why would the formula numbering not be by chapter in the master?

Thanks!
broken93
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am still experiencing the same problem since my upgrade to v3. I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest why formula numbering is not by chapter when inserted into a master document.

Jeb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: