OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Is vertical advance available in writer??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Dolan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Is vertical advance available in writer?? Reply with quote

I've been using Word Perfect since 1998 because it includes typesetting commands such as vertical advance and text centering on a page. This makes publishing books easy. I really want to use Writer instead, but so far I've failed to find any sort of vertical advance field that I can use. Is it a macro in Writer? Can I design such a command myself? Is anyone else out there interested in using vertical advance or centering text on a page in Writer?
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

First I think you have a wrong forum this is about OOo-Base.

For editing in OOo writer there are two tools
a) The navigator F5
b) Styles and formatting F11

The last one is important for you. The little window let you edit properties for paragraphs. but also for pages, frames , characters.

If you understand the styles and Formatting then it is more easy to edit a book. If you want change some thing it can be changed for the whole book.

I hope this help and try to find more on the writer forum.

Romke
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It don't think OpenOffice.org writer has a preset format or command to center the text you enter vertically and horizontally on a page.

However, you can center text vertically and horizontally in a table. If you insert a one cell table with the same height and width as the text area of the first page, you can easily insert automatically centered text.

Create a template with the first page containing a table with no border, one row and one column. Then, resize the height of the table by right clicking it and choosing Row > Height and entering the height of the active area. (Alternatively, drag the bottom border of the cell towards the bottom of the page.) Next click the Align Center button on the tool bar to center horizontally. Next Right click the cell and choose Cell > Center to align the text to center vertically.

Save the page as a template. When you open the new template, you can enter text on the first page in the cell and OpenOffice.org writer will automatically center it vertically and horizontally.

I am used to tables, so I use them extensively. You can also do custom vertical and horizontal formatting using Insert > Frame, If you learn to use this tool you can do advanced formatting like call-out boxes and linked text frames.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: