OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

One Form to Put Data into 3 Tables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckeil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: One Form to Put Data into 3 Tables Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm trying to simplify data entry for my person that will be doing the data entry.

This is an attendance database for a small school. I want one form where we can enter the date (and some info about the date (halfday, holiday, etc.) This stuff will go into the "Dates" table.

Under that set of fields I want a list of all the students in the "People" table, next to each student's name I need an "in" and an "out" time field and a couple other fields. These time stamps will get sent to the "timestamps" table (tied to the persons ID and the DateID for the date we entered above.) The timestamps table uses a dual primary key of the student's ID and the DateID. The DateID would be tied to the date that was just entered in the first set of fields above. So each record in the "timestamps" table identifies a student and date and then records when they arrived and when they left the building.

I'd also like to record other info about the student on that same line that would update the student's record in the "people" table. Like if they were on conditional enrollment, etc.

Is such a complicated structure possible? It seems like it is. If so, how do I do it? I've been messing around with subforms based on tables and queries, etc., but so far I'm not getting anywhere, so I thought I'd ask.

Here's the general idea: (____________ indicates a field that you can enter data into)

Date _____________
Holdiay ____checkbox_____
School Day _____checkbox______

First Name / Last Name In Out Absent Conditional
John Doe ____ ____ ___checkbox____ _____checkbox______
Sally Field ____ ____ ___checkbox____ _____checkbox______

etc., etc., etc.

Is there any help for me?

Thanks,

ck
ckeil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Can I ask this another way? Reply with quote

Can I ask a different, somewhat simpler, but related question?

How can you create a form that will let you enter several records for one table at a time? I don't want to have to enter each record and then click "next" after each record. (They are small records, but very many of them.)

Thanks,

ck
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

This links points you to a tutorial about forms.
http://www.geocities.com/rbenitez22/OOo/index.html

Read about a grid table. Maybe is a grid table a good control to use.

Romke
ckeil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. Those tutorials are much more in depth than what I'd found on my own. It still doesn't make any sense to me how to get the form I want, but I'll keep reading.
ckeil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: I'm still struggling with this Reply with quote

I have a very simple database with 3 tables. People, Dates and TImestamps.

I'd like to have One form that allows me to enter timestamps for every person in the people table for a particular date. Can I list all the people in the people table on a form and then have fields associated with each person that go into a different table grabbing each person's person ID?

This seems like it would be a pretty common form? Like if you had a series of events and you wanted to create a registration screen. You'd list all the people and have a checkbox next to each name. When you clicked the checkbox it would create a record in the "events attended" table that said that so-and-so attended such-and-such event on a particular date.

Thanks,

ck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: