OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem with labels in a chart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchajecki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Problem with labels in a chart Reply with quote

Hi. I'm trying to set up a chart with 3 data sets but I am having problems with getting the labels to display correctly.

In order to illustrate the issue I have created a simple spreadsheet with 3 data sets like this:

A A1 2 2
   A2 2 4
   A3 2 6
B B1 4 2
   B2 4 4
   B3 4 6
C C1 6 2
   C2 6 4
   C3 6 6

Column 1 shows the data set name.
Column 2 shown the label for each data item
Columns 3 and 4 are the X/Y values for each data item

I have created an XY scatter chart with shows the 9 points on an XY grid as expected. I have assigned each group of 3 rows of data to 3 data series (A, B and C) and used the letter in column 1 and on the first row of each group for the data series name. I was hoping to display the correct label in column 2 next to each data item. The Data Series dialogue will only let me assign ONE group of labels the whole chart (the series specified stays the same regardless of the data series selected) so all I can do is specify the entire column 2. However when I then go and check Show Category in the Data Labels tab for each data series, the chart displays the data labels, but, it starts with A1 - A3 and repeats this for all 3 data sets instead of displaying A1-A3 for data set A, B1-B3 for data set B and C1-C3 for data set C.

Is these any way to specify the labels for each data series and get it to display the labels correctly for each set please?
jchajecki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has now been solved by soneone on the official OO Calc forum. The solution was to simply put the Y axis data for each group into separate columns.
apricus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across this problem also, I moved y data into separate columns for each group but this did not help, would you clarify the solution that worked for you or post a link to the thread that details the solution please?

I've taken a screen-shot of an example of the problem and how I interpreted your solution - link below.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: