OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Report lost after computer crash. [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercierb
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Report lost after computer crash. [SOLVED] Reply with quote

With SRB I was developing a small report.
I saved each time to be able to see how the report would look.

As I had to do something else I left the SRB in the saved state and did this other thing.
It was then that the PC crashed.

Started again and I got the OOo screen for recovery.

But when I went to the report again, it was empty. every thing done was lost

As I didn't expect that crash I didn't save the data base itself.
There were other reports created already before and those ones seem to be ok.

What can be the reason this specific report is gone now, in spite of the recovery?

Last edited by mercierb on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Safway
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recovery doesn't check every possible situation. It would be impracticable (probably impossible) to do so.

I think the only answer to your question "What can be the reason . . ." is obviously the recovery process didn't recover *whatever* went wrong.

One of the VERY many possibilities is that you had the bad report opened in edit mode whereas the other reports opened in read-only mode. Maybe??????

This is off topic, but at the core of your problem: It is a sad state we are subjecting ourselves to accept when we have a PC just crashing all by itself for no apparent reason and we feel we can't use something better that doesn't just crash for no apparent reason.
mercierb
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reaction.
I was indeed in edit mode in SRB, but the report had been saved, but not the database yet.
Well, just a little bit of fun more and learning as these are my first steps.
Safway
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK.

If the database hadn't been saved yet, then it wasn't written to disk. In my experience, if elements (such as individual reports, queries, tables, etc.) of the database are created and saved they are merely saved into memory of the computer.

When one saves the entire database (go back to the main screen where you see all your database elements and select File and then Save) *then* memory is flushed from the computer onto the hard drive.

You can think of it another way: When you save a report it does, indeed, save the report *into* the database. But you have not saved the database yet.

If you still want to work with an operating system that is not stable, then you might want to tell OpenOffice to try to compensate by changing the autorecovery value (Tools | Options | Load/Save | General | Save AutoRecovery Information Every).
mercierb
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your explanation.
This makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: