OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Working with Microsoft Works WP and Corel WordPerfect files
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadynRed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Wordperfect 6.1 Master Document ? Reply with quote

I know how difficult it appears to be to convert WP docs to Writer, but that's what I need to do. I've got a WP 6.1 master document that I'd like to convert to Writer, but it appears, from what I've been able to find so far, that it may be an impossible task.

I tried pulling it into Word 2003, and Word just makes a mess of some of the formatting, but even worse, it changes the colors on a whole batch of screenshots that are in the document !

I tried the wp2sxw converter, it just errors out and says it can't convert the file.

Is there any other way to do this, or is it a lost cause ??

Thanks !!
andrew.vandever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...I see loads of help on how to work with corel docs in OO.o 2.x, but now I've upgraded to 3.x. I've searched around (google, oooforum, user.services.openoffice.org, oo.o docs, etc), and can't find anything about it. I don't see corel formats in the open list, or the conversion tool. Is there something I'm missing?

thanks,
Andrew
John Collins
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: MS Works conversion to Open Office Reply with quote

I am moving from an old PC to a new one. The old one had Works 7.0 and the new one has Open Office 3.2. I can find the Works 6-9 File Converter mentioned above but not the Word Viewer. I have a lot of .wps stuff in My Documents that I want to be able to read. How may I do this now?
aloarjr810
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: MS Works conversion to Open Office Reply with quote

John Collins wrote:
I am moving from an old PC to a new one. The old one had Works 7.0 and the new one has Open Office 3.2. I can find the Works 6-9 File Converter mentioned above but not the Word Viewer. I have a lot of .wps stuff in My Documents that I want to be able to read. How may I do this now?

Here's the new link for the word viewer-
Brief Description
View, print and copy Word documents, even if you don't have Word installed. This download is a replacement for Word Viewer 2003 and all previous Word Viewer versions.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657CE88-7CFA-457A-9AEC-F4F827F20CAC&displayLang=en
John Collins
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Workinh with Microsoft Works WP and Corel WordPerfect files Reply with quote

Thankyou aloarjr810. I have now downloaded both the viewer and the converter but am still unable to read a .wps document in my My Documents. Could this have anything to do with the copy and paste into Open Office mentioned by Chieftain above?
aloarjr810
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this in another post (older) some clearer looking instructions if it helps
(I updated the links)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to open Microsoft Works Documents in OpenOffice.org
Matt Godfrey has contributed this workaround for Works users.

After hours of tinkering, here is a free workaround to get .wps files into OpenOffice.org 2.x
This has been tested and is working on Windows ®, XP and 2000, with OpenOffice.org 2.x.

Please verify and report any success or problems to dev@documentation.openoffice.org for
forwarding to the author.

Here are the steps:
1.Download and install the free, as of 20060715, "Word Viewer 2003" from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657CE88-7CFA-457A-9AEC-F4F827F20CAC&displayLang=en
This download is a replacement for Word Viewer 2003 and all previous Word Viewer versions.

2.Download and install the free, as of 20060715, "Microsoft Works 6–9 File Converter" from Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BF41401E-70FA-465D-AE2E-CF44DBF05297&displaylang=en

3.Install both.

4.Start Microsoft Office Word Viewer from the Start > (All) Programs menu.

5.An open dialogue appears. At the bottom of this dialogue ensure that the "Files of type" is set to "All Files(*.*)".

6.Now browse to your .wps file and select it

7.Click open. A warning dialogue will appear. If you trust this file et cetera, click yes and like magic your .wps will open!.

8. Select all > edit copy >.

9.Now open OpenOffice.org 2.x writer and do edit paste.

10.You should now be looking at your doc in OpenOffice.org 2.x.

11.Choose Save as from the file menu and save your document to your preferred format.

You are now good to go!
JHA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the method works fine, but only does so with files which have the ".wpd" extension.

Generally, I never used that!

I have a master file called "Master.doc" which has hypertext links to numerous other files.

I can easily rename that, but will the conversion process retain the hypertext links?
lrollo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: WordPerfect Conversion into OOo Reply with quote

LibreOffice build 3.2.99.2

I have WP X4 and as a trial opened a file with a single graphic and 30 endnotes.

The graphic did not appear in OOo; the arabic numbering of the endnotes was coverted to Roman numbers, but did access the relevant endnote.

I also loaded the font used in the original WP document,but it was poorly rendered in OOo. In addition, the x-height of small caps was unacceptable reduced—indeed the redition of small capitals is unacceptable in a document created de nuvo in OOo.

At the current stage of development I could not consider OOo an alternative to WP.

However, I'm greatly impressed with the way one can specify the size and location of frames in OOo and have used in for a dimentional critical project to print to index tabs on dividers.
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the current stage of development I could not consider OOo an alternative to WP.

The validity of a word processor does not depend (at all) on its capability to read proprietary file formats. If reading and writing of the WP format is critical to you, then use Wordperfect. If you want to use other software, then either live with eventual import restrictions of other software, or have Wordperfect export your files to a format that is better supported by other software.
Rosendo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: re:OpenOffice & MSWorks Reply with quote

eScotty wrote:
Hi,
I currently don't have OpenOfficer Writer as my word processing application. I have MSWorks, and of course most people I sent attachments can't open them. I read elsewhere on the Internet that OpenOffice could be helpful in overcoming this problem, but what I've read at the OO Web site suggests otherwise - though I don't understand much of what I'm reading.

So, basically, my question is this: How I can use either MSWorks or OO Writer as my Word processor application and still manage to send readable attachments? (I can't afford to buy MS Word.)

Thanks,
eScotty

Just use the Save Us and save to .doc extension file.. Hope this would help..
rahuli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the given method is also nice but it takes lots of step, I think we can convert it easily by the following step too...
1 Click "File" in the top menu bar and select "Open."
2 Locate your WordPerfect document in the resulting file window and open it by double-clicking its icon.
3 Click "File" again and select "Save As."
4 Give the file a name and select a save location.
5 Click the "Save as type" drop-down menu and choose "ODF Text Document (.odt)" to save the file in OpenOffice format. To save the file in Word format, choose the "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP" option instead.
6 Click "Save" to perform the conversion.

rahul

deleted link - floris v, moderator
Crutchley
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't know whether this affects other operating systems like Linux, BSD, BeOS or Mac OS but it doesn't affect PDFs which is why I strongly recommend them.
roston
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRX Rip Trainer Cheap Vibram 5fingers Shoes Use at home or while traveling 20 lb resistance cord Mesh carrying bag.
TRX Trainer Events are advanced learning and sharing opportunities for all cheap trx Qualified trainers,Save 20% on web purchases for gear,apparel, education and more.
Shape up fast with TRX Essentials: Cardio Circuit, a TRX For Sale super-charged combo of strength and cardio training.
The KMD Sport Wouldn't be complete Without a 4mm Vibram TRX Training Pas Cher TC1 performance rubber outsole Which provides the grip and protection you need for a variety of cross training activities.
Want to have healthy body and nine abdominal muscles,The Vibram FiveFingers Shoes Online TRX Suspension Training best choice for you.
This is the extensive 12-week progressive program cheap trx for sale and workout equipment used by the US military, first responders and MMA fighters to build strength, power, mobility and core stability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: