OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Saving background to separate folder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Saving background to separate folder Reply with quote

Is there a way to save the background to a separate folder so that it can be used again- perhaps as a .jpg?

I use a lot of photos as backgrounds in Impress Presentation- not as photos, but as backgrounds-- Is there a way to separate the actual photo or graphic image?

Thank you for reading this
katie
Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add images to the Backgrounds available. Then, they will show up in Impress (and other OOo apps) as options when you go to Format > Page and choose the Background tab, pulling "Fill" down to Bitmap.

To add images to your fill Backgrounds, follow these instructions:

1. Open OOo Drawing.
2. Go to Format > Area.
3. Choose the "Bitmaps" tab in the box that opens.
4. Click Import. Then navigate to your graphics file, choose it, and click Open.
5. Enter an appropriate name for the image. This is the name that will appear in the menus.
6. Click OK.

7. Import other files if you like, or click OK to end the importing.

The image is now added to your background fill choices under Format > Page.
katie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies- I apparently wasn't clear in my request

I have lots of presentation created in Impress (& some created in PowerPoint) that use photos for backgrounds.

Some of these photos which I used for backgrounds, I no longer have on my machine and would like to pull the images out of the presentation and save them for use in a future presentation. If I could save them as a .jpg I could find them easily.

I do appreciate your response and would appreciate any additional thoughts
katie
Bug
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible to extract a background image, but the process is somewhat involved.

1. Remove everything from the side in question except the background image you want to save: no text boxes, no other graphics, etc.
2. Go to View > Notes.
3. By clicking on it, highlight the slide, which will be the topmost item in the Notes view.
4. Go to Edit > Copy.

The next step is to open a blank document in some graphics software like Paint, Gimp, or Photoshop. Then, go to Edit > Paste within the graphics software. This will give you an image which you can then save in a format of your choosing. If you are using Gimp, it works as well to go to File > Create > From clipboard.

This method worked for me in OOo 2.4 and Gimp 2.6.

Unfortunately, the Footer is going to show up on your image. If you can't live with this, then you have to seek another method, if any exists, because even turning off the Header and Footer under View > Header and Footer does not remove the footer from the image.
fink08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Better solution Reply with quote

From http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13498#p65303:

Just use a zip program (e.g. file-roller) to open your ODP file. The pictures folder contains the full background.

Yay for open non-binary formats.
aSchwarzie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Better solution Reply with quote

fink08 wrote:
From http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13498#p65303:

Just use a zip program (e.g. file-roller) to open your ODP file. The pictures folder contains the full background.

Yay for open non-binary formats.

Good Lord that saved my work and made my day !! 7zip did the job for me :-)
Thanks a million Fink08 !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: