OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Reload list box when exiting from opened form [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch_ta
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reload list box when exiting from opened form [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello all, first time here. I am working on developing a functioning project database.

One issue I am having is reloading a list box for the "Projects" form based on new records input into the "Architect" form. The "Projects" form is the main form that contains all the project information. On the "Projects" form a listbox lists names of architectural firms, that may be selected for a particular project. I have a button to the side that allows a user to add additional architects. The button opens an additional form, the "Architect" form, that allows new architectural firms to be added to the database. New entries may be saved via a "Save Record" button. I desire to be able to exit out of the "Architect" form and reload the listbox in the "Projects" form.

I tried using a combination of Voobase's listbox reload macro (http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=77927) and DrewJensens close macro (http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=60613) on an exit button in the "Architect" form.

The macro:

Code:

Sub exit_reload_listbox()

dim oForm as object

Rem... Reference to the other form
   oForm = thisComponent.Parent.FormDocuments
   if oForm.HasByName("architect") then     
      oForm = oForm.getByName("architect")
      if not IsNull(oForm.Component) then
         oForm = oForm.Component.DrawPage.Forms.getByName("projects")
         oForm.getByName("arch").refresh() Rem.. refresh listbox

End if
   End if

thisComponent.CurrentController.Frame.close(true)

End sub

Unfortunately, the code does not allow the "Architect" form to close nor the listbox in the "Projects" form to reload. How may this be resolved?

Edit: This issue has been resolved.

Last edited by ch_ta on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Voobase
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

You're macro is heading in the right direction... just a couple of things.

1./ The code you are using to get reference to your projects form would not need to mention the architect form but instead "project" and where you have written project you should probably had written "MainForm". Also check whether you are using capitals for these names as case is important.

2/ The close form section looks like it should work (unless Base has thrown an error before it gets to it). Using "thiscomponent" is convenient, but it is possible that before or while the code has got to that bit you have clicked on a different form and then "thiscomponent" is now the other form and the wrong one would close. If your macros grow in size then this becomes more likely. In this situation you can use similar code to how you got reference to the projects form, so as to guarantee you have reference to the correct form.

Give this a try....

Code:

dim oProjForm as object
dim oArchForm as object

Rem... Reference to the other form (project). Remember case important
   oProjForm = thisComponent.Parent.FormDocuments
   if oProjForm.HasByName("project") then     
      oProjForm = oProjForm.getByName("project")
      if not IsNull(oProjForm.Component) then
         oProjForm = oProjForm.Component.DrawPage.Forms.getByName("MainForm")
'msgbox "About to refresh listbox"
         oProjForm.getByName("arch").refresh() Rem.. refresh listbox

End if
   End if

Rem... Reference to this form (architect). Remember case important
   oArchForm = thisComponent.Parent.FormDocuments
   if oArchForm.HasByName("architect") then     
      oArchForm = oArchForm.getByName("architect")
      if not IsNull(oArchForm.Component) then
         oArchForm = oArchForm.Component.DrawPage.Forms.getByName("MainForm")
'msgbox "About to close architect form"
      oArchForm.parent.parent.CurrentController.Frame.close( true ) Rem... this way so dosen't close wrong form because of timing.
      End if
   End if

End sub

The code should be driven from the "when initiating" event of your close button. A good faultfinding trick is to use msgbox in macro to show to you that the code has got to that line. Just uncomment the one's I have put in for them to function.

To check the Mainform in both your forms is actually called "MainForm" click on the "Form Navigator' button on the "Form Design" toolbar whilst you have your form in design mode.

Cheers

Voo
ch_ta
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voo, I'm having trouble getting your revised macro to work. An error is thrown when I execute it by pressing the exit button on the "Architect" form, indicating that no element "Mainform" exists. I have created the "Architect" and "Projects" forms as two seperate and distinct forms. How may the code be modified in order to deal with that setup?
Voobase
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

You will have to confirm the names of your MainForms, whether called "MainForm", "Mainform", "Standard" or something you have renamed them to. Go into your form in edit mode (right click form and choose edit) then launch the "form navigator" which is located on the "form design" toolbar. This tree like view of your form shows all the form and control names located within your "writer doc" form. Have a look to check the names, spelling or case is right.

Don't forget to uncomment the mesage box's and put other ones in to check the code is executing correctly, for example if you uncomment the first one does it say "About to refresh listbox"?

Cheers

Voo
ch_ta
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Voo I have named the Projects form as "projects" that stands alone within its own Writer document. The Architect form is named as "architect" that stands alone within its own Writer document, as well. I built the forms manually within Design View and modified the name of the "Standard" form for the two seperate forms as above.

When initiating the script I do not get to the message box explaining that the List box is about to refresh. Instead I receive a Basic runtime error as follows:

Quote:
An exception occurred.
Type: com.sun.star.container.NoSuchElementException

I hope that makes things clearer.
Voobase
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I still think it is the names of your writerdoc's and forms which are being used in the macro which are causing the problem. I have added some Rem's and message boxes in the macro to help you find what might be going on.

Let me know which of the messagebox's appear when the macro runs.

Code:

dim oProjForm as object
dim oArchForm as object

Rem... Reference to the other form (project). Remember case important
   oProjForm = thisComponent.Parent.FormDocuments
   if oProjForm.HasByName("project_Writerdoc_Name") then Rem... Use the name of the project writer doc     
      oProjForm = oProjForm.getByName("project_Writerdoc_Name") Rem... Use the name of the project writer doc
      if not IsNull(oProjForm.Component) then
         oProjForm = oProjForm.Component.DrawPage.Forms.getByName("projects") Rem... Use the name from the form navigator
msgbox "About to refresh listbox"
         oProjForm.getByName("arch").refresh() Rem.. refresh listbox
     Else
msgbox "Project writer doc form isNull"
      End if
Else
msgbox "Can not find the project writer doc using that name"
   End if

Rem... Reference to this form (architect). Remember case important
   oArchForm = thisComponent.Parent.FormDocuments
   if oArchForm.HasByName("architect_Writerdoc_Name") then Rem... Use the name of the architect writer doc   
      oArchForm = oArchForm.getByName("architect_Writerdoc_Name") Rem... Use the name of the architect writer doc
      if not IsNull(oArchForm.Component) then
         oArchForm = oArchForm.Component.DrawPage.Forms.getByName("architect") Use the name from the form navigator
msgbox "About to close architect form"
      oArchForm.parent.parent.CurrentController.Frame.close( true ) Rem... this way so dosen't close wrong form because of timing.
Else
msgbox "Architect writer doc form isNull"
      End if
Else
msgbox "Can not find the architect writer doc using that name"
   End if

End sub

Cheers

Voo
ch_ta
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voo, the code executes! However the listbox does not refresh. I replaced "project_Writerdoc_Name" with "projects" and "architect_Writerdoc_Name" with "architect". I get the following messages:

"About to refresh listbox"
"About to close architect form"

But strangely after entering a new record, and saving it in the architect form, executing the macro via the exit button does not refresh the listbox in the projects form. Is there an issue with the call involving the refresh method?
Voobase
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

That's good that those message box's displayed. It shows that the code got to the right places. I'm not sure why your listbox did not reset though. Confused

In my experiences the refresh method should reload the list. If the name of the listbox control was not "arch" then I would have expected an error to be thrown on that line. Below are a few more things to check...

1/ Double check that you are actually saving the changes back to the architect table. If you go to the tables section of the GUI and open the table directly, press the refresh button up the top on the toolbar and see if your latest entry has actually made it back to the table.
2/ In design mode, check it is in fact a listbox and not a combobox (although I would expect an error when trying to use refresh() with a combobox, as it does not have that method).
3/ Is the listbox a "stand alone" listbox or is it a listbox that has been created inside a "table grid" control.
4/ When you created the listbox, did you have the "wizard" button, which is on the "form control" toolbar, turned on? It is highly advised to have this button pressed in as it steps you through the settings (at least when creating a stand-alone listbox, not with table grid listbox).

Cheers

Voo
ch_ta
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voo, thanks a lot for your help! I've been scouring the API documentation and using Xray to understand the code. I've been able to recreate the functions from your code, fix the bug and created a more generalized form of what I wanted to achieve.

Here it is:

Code:

REM   Subroutine "exit_reload" is attached to an exit button
REM and its function is to exit the current form and reload
REM a listbox in the form that initiated the recently opened
REM form.

Sub exit_reload ()

Dim dbForms as Object
   Dim formMDoc as Object         
   Dim formMDocName as String
   Dim formSDoc as Object         
   Dim formSDocName as String
   Dim formM as Object            
   Dim formMName as String
   Dim formS as Object
   Dim formSName as String
   Dim lbCtrl as Object
   Dim lbCtrlName as String

'Retrieve the form documents within the database
   dbForms = thisComponent.Parent.getFormDocuments()

'Retrieve the "main" form document
   formMDocName = "projects"
   if dbForms.hasByName(formMDocName) then
      formMDoc = dbForms.getByName(formMDocName)
   else
      MsgBox "Nonexistent form document: " & formMDocName
   end if

'Retrieve the "sub" form document; form document initiated by "main"      
   formSDocName = "architect"
   if dbForms.hasByName(formSDocName) then
      formSDoc = dbForms.getByName(formSDocName)
   else
      MsgBox "Nonexistent form document: " & formSDocName
   end if

'Retrieve form within "main" form document
   formMName = "projects"
   formM = formMDoc.Component.DrawPage.Forms
   if formM.hasByName(formMName) then
      formM = formM.getByName(formMName)
   else
      MsgBox "Nonexistent form: " & formMName
   end if

'Retrieve form within "sub" form document
   formSName = "architect"
   formS = formSDoc.Component.DrawPage.Forms
   if formS.hasByName(formSName) then
      formS = formS.getByName(formSName)
   else
      MsgBox "Nonexistent form: " & formSName
   end if

'Obtain listbox control from the "main" form
   lbCtrlName = "arch"
   if formM.hasByName(lbCtrlName) then
      lbCtrl = formM.getByName(lbCtrlName)
   else
      MsgBox "Nonexistent listbox: " & lbCtrlName
   end if

'Refresh the listbox   
   lbCtrl.refresh()

'Close "sub" form document
   formS.Parent.Parent.CurrentController.Frame.close( TRUE )

End Sub
Voobase
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Voo, thanks a lot for your help! I've been scouring the API documentation and using Xray to understand the code. I've been able to recreate the functions from your code, fix the bug and created a more generalized form of what I wanted to achieve.

No worries. What you have written looks pretty good. It's good you have discovered Xray. It is a good thing for checking the properties and methods of the controls/forms and helps with the learning.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

Voo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: