OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo - JDBC - MySQL Text fields garbled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: OOo - JDBC - MySQL Text fields garbled Reply with quote

I've got a coworker set up to use OOo to connect to out MySQL server. It's working great - no connection issues - except for one thing.

TEXT fields from the DB show up as garbage characters - lots of those squares and seemingly random punctuation marks. VARCHAR and other fields seem to show up fine (except for unsigned ints, but that's something else...).

I've tried changing settings in the Data Sources administration dialog with no success. I assume this is a character encoding issue, but I don't know what I need to change or what to change it to. My guesses so far have all been wrong. If anyone has any suggestions for things to try or other things to check, please let me know.

We're using OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.3.3
connecting to MySQL 3.23.53 on Mac OS X Server 10.2.8
via MySQL-ConnectorJ-3.0.6
( that we got from http://www.serverlogistics.com/mysql.php )

Many thanks for any help,
Scott Saunders
inoncom

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: character encoding in MySQL connector Reply with quote

I have posted a reply on trinity.neooffice.org suggesting that you try setting useUnicode=true in the database connection string, but without specifying any value for characterEncoding. This worked for me.

regards
Leigh.

Application Consultant, http://www.inon.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: