OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Listboxes not operational in form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hezza1506
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Listboxes not operational in form Reply with quote

I am building a database that is intended to store information about cat show results (which cats do well under which judges, which ones consistently beat which other ones etc.). I am trying to build a form to enter the judges reports from the shows. The table that it should enter data into has the following fields:

ClassID - a foreign key from a table connecting a class number with a show
PenID - a foreign key from a table storing which cat is in which pen at which show
Place - the position each cat comes in a class (i.e. 2 = 2nd)
Report - the report written by the judge about each cat

Rather than have to know what the ClassID is for each class at each show, and which PenID applies to which cat, at which show, I want to be able to choose these from pull-down menus displaying more meaningful information. In other words, I want the pull-down menu that returns the ClassID to display the show name and date, and the pull-down menu that returns the PenID to display the cat name and pen number applicable for that show.

I have created queries for each of these, and they both return the correct data - the 'ClassID' query returns:
"ShowID", "ClassID", "Show Name, Class Number"
the PenID query returns:
"PenID", "Show Name", "Cat Name - Pen Number"

Both queries work perfectly and return the right information. From these queries, I have created views, which also display the correct information.

However, when I link my pull-down menus to these views and open the form in data entry mode, both pull-down menus are greyed out and cannot be pulled down. Can anyone think why this might be?

The data tab of the ClassID pull-down menu reads:
Data field................ ClassID
Type of list contents... Sql
List content............. "SELECT "Show-Class", "ClassID" FROM "vShow-Class" AS "Show-Class""
Bound field.............. 1

The data tab of the PenID pull-down menu reads:
Data field................ PenID
Type of list contents... Sql
List content............. "SELECT "Cat-ShowPen", "PenID" FROM "vCat-ShowPen" AS "Cat-ShowPen""
Bound field.............. 1

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Hezza1506 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
tigger6333
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Listboxes not operational in form Reply with quote

Hezza1506 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Forms based on a query are read only maybe?
Therefore greyed out means inactive because you aren't allowed to do that.

Just a thought.

tigger6333
Hezza1506
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

I've found the issue - my linked table didn't have a primary key, so I've made the two foreign keys into a composite primary key and the form is now working! Silly me - should rememeber the first rule of form-creation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: